Camp Nordland

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching the history channel yesterday about nazi's in America in WW2. They mentioned 2 German American bund camps in the show. One in N.J. and one in N.Y. I researched a little on each and figured someone here might be in the area and may know where all this is and be interested in seeing if there is anything still around there to hunt for. Being they were both booming Nazi camps with thousands of people going in and out of them figured there would be something worth digging up.

Camp Nordland was in Sussex County, Andover Township. On the banks of Iliff Lake. 200 acres and several buildings were purchased by the German American Bund auxiliary and used as Nazi training camps for years till shut down by the government. I found where it is listed that the old camp is now part of the Hillside Park and surrounding area. Here is an excerpt from a page I found.

The German community in New Jersey

The Schwarzkopfs, whose name literally means "black head" in German, were part of a German community that was already thriving in 1920s New Jersey and continues to do so today. There are no fewer than 33 German cultural clubs listed in New Jersey in Cynthia Zorn's comprehensive web site: http://mars.superlink.net/czorn. Some of the clubs go back to the 20's.

In the years prior to World War II, when Nazism was on the rise, the New York - New Jersey area had a strong pro-Nazi organization called the German American Bund. They had a camp in northern New Jersey which was the scene of some large rallies:

"In 1937, the German-American Bund Auxiliary purchased approximately 200 acres and several buildings near Lake Iliff in Andover Township. On July 18, 1937, Camp Nordland opened with a parade of 500 "bundists" and a beer blast consisting of kegs of predominately German beer. The camp received the immediate attention and opposition of local farmers, the Anti-Nazi League, and local law enforcement.

One of several metropolitan area facilities, the Camp's purpose was to cultivate the political loyalty of German-Americans in light of the ongoing events in Germany and in the rest of Europe in the days leading to World War II. An estimated 1000 German-American residents from New York City and surrounding areas arrived at Nordland every weekend to participate in political rallies, speeches, and German fun.

One particularly noteworthy event held at Camp Nordland was an "Americanism" rally, allegedly conducted in conjunction with the Ku Klux Klan, that attracted an estimated crowd of 50,000 persons. Although the KKK publicly stressed their opposition to movements of an alien origin, they could not resist the temptation of sharing in the purse of this well attended event." [6]

Good luck to anyone that goes hunting for it. I hope you find interesting and valuable things.

quaidmon

Apr 8, 2007
New Jersey
There was also a Bund camp on Federal Hill in Riverdale. A friend and I went hiking ther in the mid 90's. We walked to the top and found a great view and initials carved in the rock dating back to 1905. On the way back down we found the ruins of a few buildings. Some kids riding dirt bikes stopped and told us about an iron door set into the rock and what they called "New Jersey Natzies". My friend went back and found the door , turns out it was a powder magazine for a mining operation. Federal Hill was also the site of a mutiny during the revolutionary war. Early in 1871 the 160 cold,hungry,not been paid in months soldiers started to march to Trenton. George Washington who was in Morristown at the time(about 15 miles away) sent General Howe to put an end to it. General Howe did just that with the execution of the two ringleaders by a firing squad of twelve men. If you want more info just google federal hill nj. As soon as I find a place to legally park and acess this site I am going to hunt it HARD.

bryansb

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as I find a place to legally park and acess this site I am going to hunt it HARD.

I know this post is almost eight years old (omg 2008 seems like "yesterday") already, but have you ever had the chance to get back to Federal Hill? It is on my list of "must hunt" places, along with Camp Nordland. I also live in New Jersey, and am a HUGE WWII buff.

If you want to hit either or both of these places together let me know...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions