Hello from Chicago area and help me decide if I should get into the hobby or not

Jay1204

Apr 2, 2011
I was watching a guy hunting for coins in youtube and since then, my research began. I read some books and searched various websites in regards to this hobby, so I am now somewhat educated. however, there is a one thing holds me back to get into this hobby. that is, is there anything left for me??? people like you have been hunting for over 40 years and technology has been/is getting advanced every year so if I purchase MD that would cost me $200 - $600 us dollar, would I ever find things equivanlent to that amount? how long would it take me to cover the cost of the MD? probably long time... I really do want to get into the hobby, but these treasures dont regenerate... so im here sitting in my room contemplating whether I should buy the MD and start hunting or spend my money on buying some silver coins. any encouraging guidance?

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hello from Chicago area and help me decide if I should get into the hobby or

If you're looking to pay off a md, NO. If you're up for a thrill and and spending hours on your knees in the mud only to find a half rotted away zincoln penny, well then hell yeah go buy an expensive md

OP
OP
J

Jay1204

Apr 2, 2011
Re: Hello from Chicago area and help me decide if I should get into the hobby or

so you get kick out of half rotted lincoln pennies? or do you hope for something better? at the end of the day, isnt it about the what you found and worth of it? dont you want to get your hard work paid off?

47thelement said:
If you're looking to pay off a md, NO. If you're up for a thrill and and spending hours on your knees in the mud only to find a half rotted away zincoln penny, well then hell yeah go buy an expensive md

Daedalus

Feb 2, 2011
Strafford , Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT / MineLab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you go into this to pay off a machine then you will most likely not like it. But if you go into this to have fun and find some awesome items then you will like it if you are like me.
And you always have just as good a chance to find things that are worth money , some could be very costly and make you some bucks .
The more you go out and detect the better you will get and the more you will find.

To me this hobby is one the best things I have done and got into . And you cannot get me to trade it for something else. Did I have days that I wish I had not started , yep . But that does not last long . And I have found items that when sold made me a good amount of money . It's that I did not count on finding things that were worth a lot .

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
Jay1204

th_smiley-welcome-train.gif

Attachments

• th_smiley-welcome-train.gif
    th_smiley-welcome-train.gif
    60.6 KB · Views: 124

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net Jay. :icon_thumright:

Research is key. There are still plenty of sites to detect and make outstanding finds, this is seen daily here. But, its still a hobby not a primary source of income.

cyberborikua

Apr 11, 2011
Chicago
Detector(s) used
BH 505, BH Tracker IV, Minelab Safari, Minelab E-Track,Tesoro Sand Shark, Cobra Beach Master, Radio Shack Micronta 3001
Hi, I'm from Chicago too. Concerning your dilemma, you usually don't get into a hobby looking for a return on investment. For example, I also collect coins and have spent some money on them. That I'll get my money back one of these days, I'm not certain about it, but that I'm having fun collecting them and learning a lot, it's a fact and the main reason I'm doing it. Not trying to persuade you into the hobby, but this is one of the best pastimes I've ever had. Not only that it is a thrill every time your machine beeps on something potentially interesting, but when you hit something good, the satisfaction of the find is priceless! When I found my 1877-CC Seated Liberty dime, I considered my first $299 MD investment paid off, even though the coin just sells for about $75 online. For me, it is a treasure that I never dreamed of finding. Like that example, I have found so many interesting treasures that I don't even think on what I have invested anymore. In addition to the health benefits and getting to know wonderful people from around the globe in these forums, I never get bored hunting and I always find money! Take a look at my first find posting here. It was a silver/gold ring I just found last Saturday in a park that has been detected many, many times. It does not matter how many times, there is always something left behind or new things are lost by people. But, again if you just think on the investment, maybe this is not for you. :dontknow:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one ever asks if they will make their money back on a new set of golf clubs they bought. It's a hobby. Not a job. Expect to lose money. If you end up making money then that is just icing on the cake. The decision to get into this hobby should be no different than the decision to take up golf or fishing.

As others have said, if you are in it for the investment then you will hang it up rather quickly. Although there are plenty of people that can pay off a machine, the return on your investment in terms of time is very, very low. You'd be better off working at McDonald's. Most of us just enjoy getting out with the understanding that today really could be the day that we find that neat coin, ring, or cache of coins. Others love the idea of finding relics that have historical meaning or value.

Charlene

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
SE, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MineLab Excal II & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Hi Jay,

All of us hope for that one find that pays $$$ :hello2: and we could say "I paid for my detector".

Personally I view detecting like any other hobby or pass time. If you go out to the movies once a week, buy a drink and some popcorn, it doesn't take long to spend $$$ and you dont have anything to show for it. The same with golf, or bowling and many others. After the initial cost of the detector, the only thing it costs is batteries once in awhile, some detectors are rechargeable. A detectorist will continue to find coins and jewelry and have something to show for their money.

Beware, if you think you're gonna go out with a detector and find silver and gold without digging up your share of "trash", you'll be very disappointed. I haven't met a detectorist yet that doesn't do their fair share of cleaning up mother earth. Its the thrill of the hunt that keeps our attention, the history we uncover, the happiness we can bring to someone that lost something years ago and can return it.

You just have to decide what tickles your fancy.

ArizonaGoldFever

Apr 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Welcome to Treasurenet! IF you are wondering if this hobby is worth while you should check out the Top 5 Largest Nuggets in the World post on my blog. The Welcome Stranger nugget is the largest found with a metal detector in a guy's backyard. Granted that backyard happens to be in Australia...I'm sure you can find some closer to home than that.

~J
http://arizona-gold-fever.blogspot.com/

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
psst this"hobby" is not all about "making money" --if your geared to that mind set of making fast and easy money by metal detecting -- please save yourself a lot of grief and skip this hobby --however if you like to find interesting things and historical items and like to find a few coins and maybe once in awhile a bit of jewelry or a good old silver coin or two --along with clad coins and a whole bunch trash --welcome to the madness.

machines come in many differant makes and models from cheap to very expensive -- there are ones for folks who are non tech savvy and ones for those who are rocket science folks -- picking the right one thats suited to your temperment and price range is important --so ask about em and read about it BEFORE spending your money --look at the soils and areas where you will be using it to get the "right type" for your needs and the areas you wish to hunt at.

JDS

Jun 8, 2007
Kansas City Missouri
Detector(s) used
ML4000/ML E-Trac/Ace 250/Antique Groundhog
If you are considering the detector as an investment then don't. Put that money into penny stocks. If you have a passion for the unknown then almost any diecent detector can feed that need. All of my detectors have paid for themselves many times over. Some in monetary value but all in the thrill of finding something lost or never seen before. Yes this is probably the only hobby that can pay for it's self but that is not why most are in it.

Jerry

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlene said:
Hi Jay,

All of us hope for that one find that pays $$$ :hello2: and we could say "I paid for my detector".

Personally I view detecting like any other hobby or pass time. If you go out to the movies once a week, buy a drink and some popcorn, it doesn't take long to spend $$$ and you dont have anything to show for it. The same with golf, or bowling and many others. After the initial cost of the detector, the only thing it costs is batteries once in awhile, some detectors are rechargeable. A detectorist will continue to find coins and jewelry and have something to show for their money.

Beware, if you think you're gonna go out with a detector and find silver and gold without digging up your share of "trash", you'll be very disappointed. I haven't met a detectorist yet that doesn't do their fair share of cleaning up mother earth. Its the thrill of the hunt that keeps our attention, the history we uncover, the happiness we can bring to someone that lost something years ago and can return it.

You just have to decide what tickles your fancy.

Welcome to Treasure net Chug

All It takes Is one good Find to Pay for your Detector!!! But the Only way that will Happen Is Buying one and Start learning Your Machine!!! I am One of the very Lucky ones that found Something that would Pay off my Investment In a detector this is My second detector and Am now getting very close to Purchasing My third One!!!!

the only thing I can say is If you are will to put down a few bucks It is possible to Find enough to pay for It!!!! But Its a lot of Fun and some disappointment days But Its a great way to get away and Have a blast wondering What is going to come out of the Grass ,Dirt or Sand Next HH Chug

Here is a Pic Of my best find!!!!! normally is I our avatar but red has the Easter one up right Now Chug and Red

Attachments

• ST_Barbara_Medallion_001.JPG
    ST_Barbara_Medallion_001.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 130
  • ST_Barbara_Medallion_001.JPG
    ST_Barbara_Medallion_001.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 149

treasure diver

Mar 17, 2006
eastern KY.
Look at it like fishing in the dirt. A boat is a hole in the water you pour your money into, but I sure like to fish. Some times I catch some.Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread