Newbie in gold country

TammyL

Jun 19, 2011
:dontknow: My BF and I have just started out. We live in gold country so we have lots of area to explore. Plus 5 acres of our own we have found a lot of black sand on. We aren't really sure what to look for but have gotten lucky in Jamestown at some friends property (150 acres) finding crystals. Also a little bit of dust from panning our sand. (We are in Snelling, right along the path the dredges went. In fact, our property was dredged way back when.) Any hints, tips, and/or help in knowing what to look for when looking for a good place to pan or dig would be appreciated.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the neighborhood. Snelling is a neat little town. We statred going to Lake McSwain over 30 years ago. I once spoke with someone familiar with the rock and sand operations there and although they have devices in place for finding missed gold they said the vast majority was extracted years ago. Can't hurt to look. If your property hasn't been dredged and you are finding gold you could be quite fortunate.

For those not familiar with Snelling, its on the same Merced river that runs through Yosemite and Briceburg, just down stream about 20-25 miles. So ask questions and post pictures. There's lots of knowledge and help here.

enjoy-
C-dad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread