treasure loving little girl in maine tired of being told to go play with dolls

Scout_59

Feb 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Warm hellos to everyone here,

I've been something of a closet treasure hunter since I was a child (which I suppose is not that long ago...) after I kept getting in trouble with my mother for bringing rusty metal nails I found in the woods home, receiving a forceful, "WHY ARE YOU BRINGING TRASH IN THE CLEAN HOUSE?!" or, at least concerned for my safety: "YOU'LL CUT YOURSELF ON THAT!"

But my treasure affliction has only gotten worse. Luckily my father shares my love and has moved from humoring me to helping, and then happily joining in.

He still can't turn off his fatherly protectiveness, and the incredibly wonderful 100 year old dump on our property is still forbidden territory for me due to the layers of glass shards, jagged metal tins and rotten boards full of nails. Of course, I know all that because I've spent hours digging in it when he's not home.

For the most part when I try and engage the owner of a junk shop or salvage place in conversation I get snubbed or ignored. I'm in my mid-twenties but still have teenagers ask me what high school I go to, so I know I look young. But I'm not sure who else to talk to when most people my age couldn't care less about my interests, i.e. apprenticing for a year with a pocket watch maker, carrying my loupe around to haggle down prices for additions to my pocket watch collection, collecting old tins and bottles, wooden rulers, first editions.. getting my college degree in typography, letterpress printing and hand-lettering, picking locks for totally non-illegal access to abandoned buildings... the list goes on. Essentially, I'm looking for my people and thinking or hoping I might have found them here.

I won't ramble on, just finish with one of my happiest treasure dig stories. The finds might not look spectacular but they came from the swamp near our family camp in Manchester, Maine. The camp was originally a bicycle club built in the 1800's and then turned into a summer house. My evil father had "forgotten" to tell me that all those years the swamp was used as a dump. Which meant the mud I spent years hauling piles of leaves out into was actually the resting place for 200 years of treasure.

He gave in to my begging and that weekend we decided to start small and tackle one spot. Swamp land is particularly frustrating to work in since you quickly find that you're not so much removing dirt as filling a hole with water. But he let me do every bit of glorious digging and at the end of the day I walked away with these gems

(And the metal bits match some of the fixtures still in the camp!! I nearly died with happiness.)

Hope to talk to all of you more soon! Happy hunting :)

Attachments

• camptreasure.jpg
    camptreasure.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 366

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds Scout !

Welcome to TreasureNet :thumbsup:

bluehunter1973

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2006
Port Huron, Mi.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well unfortunately you found them. We are here and you have found the place. You name it we hunt for it. You have trouble figuring out what it is we will help. We are the kings and queens of junk. Your mom was right the nails will cut you, but there are band aids and antibiotics to combat those little problems. If looking young gets you in to those spots nobody can hunt then use that if they dont take you serious because you are young prove them wrong. They dont make you who you are only you do that. Just remember we require pictures, stories and the occasional help. Just watch it we bite :laughing7: Welcome and good luck

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TN Scout. :hello: What an interesting letter you wrote, a very enjoyable read. I bet you are going to post some very interesting, and a good mix of finds. I will be looking out for them.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MG_127.gif
Scout

Cool finds!

TreasureGirl.JPG

Attachments

• TreasureGirl.JPG
    TreasureGirl.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 330

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Scout,
Your finds and relics are great, am thrilled that no matter what, your sticking to your guns on your passion for hunting.. I wish you much success and glad to see ya here too.

waving from the Jersey Shore
an old gal who hunts the beaches.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love that old door pull handle lot of workmanship in the older stuff
Scout Welcome to Treasurenet and thank for shearin
Gary

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really enjoyed your intro, I hope you didn't give up on this site...I can relate to your story in so many ways. It bums me out that I didn't read this sooner.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread