Hi! Newbie here hoping to learn from you all here...

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi there,

I just started looking at this as a hobby... we live near the beach and the entire family simply loves the outdoors.
Since the beach is only a short walk away, it made perfect sense for us to start this as a family hobby so that everyone in the family can enjoy...
I hope to learn more about this hobby... and first thing first... can someone give me some pointers as to which metal detectors I should buy as my first beach combing tool? My budget is $650

Cheers!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA)!
reading_01.gif
You didn't mention your state - but you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.
You will get a bunch of recommendations from member's - you have a tough decision ahead of you. However, whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome FishingDevil,

I can recommend a couple of detectors in your price range. The Garrett AT Pro is water proof to 10 feet, and has a ground balnace capability to minimize the effects of salt mineralization. It allows you to discriminate out all the small nails and bobby pins. If you want to go deeper than 10 feet, the Garret Sea Hunter can go to 200 feet deep, and it is in the same price range. The Sea Humter has minimal discrimination.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Hi guys! Thank you for the very warm welcome! Im from singapore. Is there a sub forum for singapore?
I was looking at metaldetector.com. Is it a good place to make my purchase?

OP
OP
F

fishingdevil

May 1, 2013
Next to the sea
Primary Interest:
Welcome FishingDevil,

I can recommend a couple of detectors in your price range. The Garrett AT Pro is water proof to 10 feet, and has a ground balnace capability to minimize the effects of salt mineralization. It allows you to discriminate out all the small nails and bobby pins. If you want to go deeper than 10 feet, the Garret Sea Hunter can go to 200 feet deep, and it is in the same price range. The Sea Humter has minimal discrimination.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com
Hi MDS, for using on beach... which will you personally recommend? More discrimination or less?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi MDS, for using on beach... which will you personally recommend? More discrimination or less?
Welcome. As for discrimination or not, a lot will depend on the beach and how much junk (i.e. iron/steel) is present. If your beaches are fairly clean, a good PI unit from any of the major manufacturers will work very well. You will have to dig every target however so keep that in mind. If you have more than a little junk, a detector with iron discrimination is a must. I think the best one out there is the Excalibur if you plan on going into the water. If it's just wet sand and ankle deep water you're hunting, you can have good service out of an E-trac, Explorer, or Sovereign. The AT Pro will work but IMO not nearly as well. The CTX3030 is also an excellent option if you have the $$$$.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread