Greenie
May 22, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi All,

I've been metal detecting off and on since about the mid 1970's. Once I got out of school and had more time (and money!) I got a Tesoro Tejon and have been using it around old farmsteads. The areas I hunt are ridiculously trashy. So far I've found a trash bag full of nails, pull tabs, and bits of aluminum foil. Once in awhile I find a silver coin or 19th century penny. I've gotten pretty good and recognizing the sounds of the Tejon and can pretty much tell if it's worth digging or not so these days I don't dig everything, but I still always wonder if I'm passing up something very good.

Recently I went to my father-in-laws old farm in Ontario Canada. He pointed out the area of an old shack that was used as a ticket booth for old festivals that burned down 20 tears ago. I highly doubt it's ever been searched before as it's been in the family for 60 years.

That site was beyond trashy!!!! I searched for 3 days and didn't find a single coin, but did find an old Dodge Brother's emblem, a metal maple leaf pin, an old pocket watch, and some other neat relics. But not a single coin! How is that possible????

I plan to go back in September and am contemplating a different search coil to zero in on coins at shallow depth.

Regards
-Dave

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from another member of the great state of Pennsylvania (USA)!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Pennsylvania for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome dave, with the watch and pin there, there's gotta be coins and more still there,good luck hunting

OP
OP
H

Hisownself

Greenie
May 22, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks all.

@firemac: I just know there has to be good stuff there. My mother-in-law grew up in that house and from 1951 to 1996 it was the entertainment center of an ethnic community. They sold tickets at a shed long gone and there's a large dance hall attached to the house. I imagine lots of drunk people stumbling around and fumbling with money. And, in addition, the house was originally built in 1890 and had all sorts of long gone outbuildings. But there's so much trash that it's really beyond my skill level right now to detect the good stuff from the junk. I'm thinking I need a different coil or something.

Another nice thing is the soil is very sandy, easy to dig, and even iron is well preserved in it. So if I get to coins I know they will be well preserved. I can't wait to get back in September!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread