SoCal Noob

usmc1361

Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone. My name is Keith. I am from Texas, but the Marine Corps took me to San Diego. I did metal detecting as a kid, but it was nothing serious at all. I went back to Texas recently and my dad had picked up a detector. I ended up borrowing it when we all went to the lake. I found a ton of trash, but I found a lot of pennies as well. So, I'm hooked. I've done all the common crap that a total noob would do....YouTube videos, MD reviews, researching good books for my area, and basically being completely freaking lost.

SO....this is what I'm looking for because of my area. I want to hunt the desert, for whatever reason. But I want to hunt the beaches and maybe get the detector wet at some point. I think that I'm between the Safari and the AT Pro.

Any suggestions?

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come aboard ... :hello:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard Keith! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Sovereign/WOT,Goldquest,DFX,Tesoro DeLeon,
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to California..I haven't detected anywhere but the beach in San Diego but there is a rich history all around there..Either unit will do well at the beach or the dirt, I would lean to the Garrett unit myself.

OP
OP
U

usmc1361

Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to California..I haven't detected anywhere but the beach in San Diego but there is a rich history all around there..Either unit will do well at the beach or the dirt, I would lean to the Garrett unit myself.

Hi, Thank you for the advice. I have been looking at Kellyco at the packages that they offer. Is there a big difference between the AT Pro and the AT Gold?
I found a guy who has a Safari for $700, but I know that it isn't waterproof, which is a let down, and it doesn't come with any accessories. I think that I may just go with an AT, but not sure of the differences between the Gold and Pro.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, Thank you for the advice. I have been looking at Kellyco at the packages that they offer. Is there a big difference between the AT Pro and the AT Gold?
I found a guy who has a Safari for $700, but I know that it isn't waterproof, which is a let down, and it doesn't come with any accessories. I think that I may just go with an AT, but not sure of the differences between the Gold and Pro.
Well I have heard good things about the Safari and the AT pro as well as the gold, as I recall the gold is a little different, thinking a manual ground balance and may be more sensitive for nugget hunting but don't take my word on it..I never really researched them only what I remember hearing.
I have heard many justified complaints about the service minelab gives when a detector breaks or needs service and eventually they all do, on the other hand I have heard praise from Garrett owners and compliments on their fast and reasonable service even out of warranty.
Truth is the detector is only half the equation of finding treasure , any reasonably good detector is all a detectorist will need and either Minelab or the Garrett is plenty good. The rest is learning , to become one with your machine.

OP
OP
U

usmc1361

Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have heard good things about the Safari and the AT pro as well as the gold, as I recall the gold is a little different, thinking a manual ground balance and may be more sensitive for nugget hunting but don't take my word on it..I never really researched them only what I remember hearing.
I have heard many justified complaints about the service minelab gives when a detector breaks or needs service and eventually they all do, on the other hand I have heard praise from Garrett owners and compliments on their fast and reasonable service even out of warranty.
Truth is the detector is only half the equation of finding treasure , any reasonably good detector is all a detectorist will need and either Minelab or the Garrett is plenty good. The rest is learning , to become one with your machine.

I appreciate the help. I agree, your equipment is only as good as the person using it. I think I am going to research the pro and gold some more and probably get one of the packages. I want it to be good for all around stuff. Maybe if I get deeper into it, I'll find an underwater detector or something of the sorts. Thank you again for the help. I think I'm going to decide today and order one this evening or tomorrow. I'm pretty pumped.

OP
OP
U

usmc1361

Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's settled, the AT Gold doesn't do salt water. I guess I'm going with the AT Pro.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea..That may be it ..A higher frequency as well...I have heard from many veteran hunters using the ATpro and said they love it, Should serve you well.

OP
OP
U

usmc1361

Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great news

Great news! Last night I ordered my new AT Pro package from KellyCo. I didn't go crazy getting a bunch of extras, just stuck with what came in the package. I was trying to pick up a used one from a couple of local guys, but nobody ever returned emails, probably for the best.

So there is a local store with sand scoops. I am a fabricator, so I know structural integrity when it comes to stuff like that. I want one that is robust and will last in dry and wet sand. Are there any of those, "YOU HAVE TO GET THIS ONE!" out there? I'm not so worried about the handle breaking down. If it doesn't, I can just cut it in half and make a sleeve.

foilfinder

Jul 15, 2014
Ardmore Ok.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of opinions on scoops,..If I had money to burn I would get a stavr,sunspot, stealth..all are around 130-180 without the handle..Price isnt bad considering the quality. Me I use the RTG`s and have since the beginning. The 700 series galvanized steel is what gave me a 1-2 year service before it started wearing out but by then I had dug countless gold and silver..paid for itself 30 times over at least, treat them right so they last, rinse them off and stay away from gravel, we don't ave much gravel here in so cal.
I use a 6 or 7 inch stainless steel RTG now, its a heavy thing but I`m used to it now, been 3 years and not a problem, going to go back to the 5" scoop soon just to lighten my load.
I like the wire mesh in the bottom for fast wet sand sifting, you also want to be able to grasp your hand right next to the scoops bucket so when you sift wet sand your wrist doesn't get sore so you would benefit from a gap in the reinforcement bar that allow you to get your whole hand right next to the bucket.
The scoops with the holes are OK but need more shaking to clear wet sand, in the dry or in the water they drain fast enough but wet/damp needs screen.
The aluminum with the round holes are good and light but they don't sift wet sand as well and the extra weight savings is taken away by the extra shaking required to clear the sand, least that my opinion, they work great for many and in the water or in the dry they sift fine.
By the way i`m talking about long handle heavy duty sand scoops, not the dry sand scoops that are lightweight and made for dry sand only.

Last edited:

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome Keith.

GL and HH

OP
OP
U

usmc1361

Aug 8, 2014
San Diego, CA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of opinions on scoops,..If I had money to burn I would get a stavr,sunspot, stealth..all are around 130-180 without the handle..Price isnt bad considering the quality. Me I use the RTG`s and have since the beginning. The 700 series galvanized steel is what gave me a 1-2 year service before it started wearing out but by then I had dug countless gold and silver..paid for itself 30 times over at least, treat them right so they last, rinse them off and stay away from gravel, we don't ave much gravel here in so cal.
I use a 6 or 7 inch stainless steel RTG now, its a heavy thing but I`m used to it now, been 3 years and not a problem, going to go back to the 5" scoop soon just to lighten my load.
I like the wire mesh in the bottom for fast wet sand sifting, you also want to be able to grasp your hand right next to the scoops bucket so when you sift wet sand your wrist doesn't get sore so you would benefit from a gap in the reinforcement bar that allow you to get your whole hand right next to the bucket.
The scoops with the holes are OK but need more shaking to clear wet sand, in the dry or in the water they drain fast enough but wet/damp needs screen.
The aluminum with the round holes are good and light but they don't sift wet sand as well and the extra weight savings is taken away by the extra shaking required to clear the sand, least that my opinion, they work great for many and in the water or in the dry they sift fine.
By the way i`m talking about long handle heavy duty sand scoops, not the dry sand scoops that are lightweight and made for dry sand only.

Great points made. Thank you for your reply.

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I drilled 19 extra 5/8" holes in the meaty bottom section of my 7" RTG and it drains like a sieve now and weighs less too. Equally as well as my RTG with the screen bottom.

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Keith,
I have the Stavr scoop and the RTG scoop and the Stealth 720i Scoop with a carbon fiber handle! I have used all at the beach in all of the conditions.
Hands down the one that performs is the Stealth 720i!
Thank you for my freedom!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome Kieth, from T. Cieszki, Plt 1007, MCRD-SD, 1967. In Hué for Tét of '68. G'tmo Bay in '70. And now , just coasting on the laurels. Thank you for your service to this greatest of nations! But your job is not done. You must now carry the honor of your position forward in life. Bow to no one but your God. And when faced with a challenge, it's full charge forward with a Marine Corps OORAH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread