New Guy from Kansas City, MO

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I just turned a young 60 and the bug is beginning to bite. I'm really not that interested in finding money (clad), but am more interested in locating Civil War relics (bullets, pins, buttons, badges, etc.....) There a few battle sites within a reasonable drive from my house.

I've been reading through some threads here until my eyes started bleeding. I'm looking for a MD that would be better for this type of search. They "all" appear quite capable. Money is an issue, but I'd like to stay away from the low end beginner models. Past experience, in life, has proven to me that's a more expensive option in the long run. Is there any way to keep the cost (complete) to around 500 bucks? Garrett, Whites, Fisher...etc The choices are mind boggling. And YES, I realize it's the operator more than the machine. If I HAVE to dig every hole, I'm still in pretty good shape.

I've read the DD rings are better. I have a pretty good ear, if that helps at all. I also have a good set of headphones at home with a standard jack.

My girlfriend is gonna shoot me!

Regards,
John Ponzo
aka - ponz

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ponz,:hello: This is one of the deepest relic detectors around. It's more than your $500, but you get more. Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. Be sure to read the field tests. The only other one near equal is the Sovereign GT by Minelab. These don't have screens since targets at depth aren't accurate on screens. View attachment 1066862
Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

Last edited:

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the fun ... :laughing7:

Sandigger2

Mar 25, 2012
Ventura County,So Cal
Detector(s) used
DFX, PIDF,CZ 21,F5,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome to the forum and the addiction. When you decide on a detector, take a look at the Classifieds. Usually some good deals available.
Also check your local detector dealer. Sometimes there's trade ins at a good price. HH

justdon

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics delta4000/Tesoro compadre/Garrett ace 250/Garrett propointer/Garrett at pro/Tesoro silver umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome.Iam sure if you take your time you can find a good md in the classifieds or on craigslist.Good luck and HH.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard John! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Ohio for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, John!

There are some good choices close to your price range, but I think the Garrett AT Pro would be a good choice for you. It comes standard with a 8.5X11" DD coil, headphones and it's fully waterproof. Contact me directly if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

Metal Detecting Stuff: Garrett AT Pro - No Junk Package

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread