First Detector for Christmas

davemartin88

Jan 3, 2015
Romney, WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi to all, just received a Fisher F5 from my wife for Christmas. We live near Romney, WV and hope to learn a lot about detecting and find a few interesting objects. Our house is on acreage that is mostly shale with a very shallow coverage of what the locals call topsoil. Thinking that if anything has been dropped or lost, it may not have gone down too deep because of the shale but hoping the F5 will be able to handle the minerals- reviews seem to indicate it will work but looks to have a bit of a learning curve.

So far, I've just used it in All Metal mode around the house we built a few years back and turning up an impressive collection of nails and screws! Oh, I also found a file used to sharpen my chainsaw so off and running.

Look forward to learning about the hobby and hope to contribute as I learn more.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome Davemartin88,

Take the time to really learn you machine and enjoy the sport. Do not get discouraged, we all dig lots of trash in the beginning, then as we gain the experience with our equipment – less. Construct a test bed in your back yard and use it often to hone your detection, pinpointing and tone ID recognition of various targets (good and bad). This will increase your good finds percentage. If you can purchase a pin pointer; target recovery will be made easier.

Regards,

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet my wife is from down around Romney I get to detect down around Berryville where my inlaws live about 3 times a year very nice area.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the club ... :occasion14:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dave you might want to check out this video

The ORIGINAL, often copied Fisher F5 metal detector intro video By Bill Ladd

OP
OP
D

davemartin88

Jan 3, 2015
Romney, WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Davemartin88,

If you can purchase a pin pointer; target recovery will be made easier.

Regards,

Have a ProPointer due here this week.

Have seen that video, great overview and introduction to the F5. Also started going through the collection of F5 Tips that come from Mike Hill I believe. Looks like the F5 will be able to keep me busy for a long time.

We also have a small river camp that is supposed to be near an old Indian city and where there was a river ford during the time of the Civil War and in to the early 1900's. The camp was originally a church until it was closed in late 1939. My wife suggested the detector after we bought the camp late last fall. Hoping to get permission to detect on the neighboring properties once I have a better idea what I'm doing.

Thanks to all for the welcomes!

3RINGER

Feb 1, 2009
Middle TN
Detector(s) used
GPX 4800, Blisstool V6, AT Pro, Makro Racer, CZ3D, XL PRO, Nokta Relic, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum

Some great info already given, just don't give up and learn it is best advise....you'll be posting great stuff in no time :thumbsup:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: West Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

trymee

Jan 4, 2015
slanesville wv
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Dave,, Im new to this myself and like you I just got my first metal detector for xmas from my wife " only took 4 years of passing her the hint" Im in Slanesville Wv. about 20 miles down the road from you off rt 127 Maybe after we both get used to our detectors maybe we can team up and go hunting. Im new to the area so Im researching the best places to go hunting.If interested send me a PM. Thanks Trymee

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TreasureNet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread