NoSoup4u2

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Frozen bitten Hello Y'all from Ontario Canada

***That should have read "FROSTBITTEN!"

How Do Y'all! :hello2:

I just signed up and eager to go...it's only 8 feet deep, but I'm gonna dig through the snow! brrr!!
This will be my first year metal detecting and I hope I'm still as eager in the fall. If anyone has some good "newbie" pointers for me, I'd be much appreciated, and all ears!:laughing7:
I just bought myself a new Discovery 1100 from a fella who bought it but never used it, and I also had an older fella who swears by the old school Garretts so I just bought a vintage Garrett Master Hunter with a 9" & 12" coil. I hope I did good by both. The 1100 cost me $50 and the Garrett cost me $55 plus another $30 for shipping. I did a bunch of reading, & the 1100 was bought to start with, unless someone recommends the other. But I did hear that if I could get my hands on an old American VLF/TR S3 or a Groundhog, I should and I'm set for life! lol
Well, I've said enough for an intro and hope to meet some new friends here.
HAPPY HUNTING!
Soup:) :headbang:

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Canada for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your country.

OP
OP
N

NoSoup4u2

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the help and the directions. I'll certainly do that. In the mean time, I was browsing through here and doing some google searches too, and there is a guy who actually posted on here, way back in Sept 2010 about the very same Garrett I have! VERY COOL! Here is the link & title to that post:
Older "NEW" Garrett Master Hunter BFO... opinions?
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...r-new-garrett-master-hunter-bfo-opinions.html
That is the one I got. But I only have the two round coils. The same one that is on it, and the 12" one leaning up against the back of the couch. Very interesting comments on it, but one fella swears by the old Garrett.
I hope he's right! But if anyone else has any thoughts on this old Garrett, I'd be real interested in hearing!
Thanks again for the info too vpnavy....much appreciated Sir!

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new, too. Only advice I'd give is make sure to take a day off now and then or your wrist and arm will tell you how much you need a day off. Swinging is more work than folks realize! After 4 hours or so, you'll find out what I mean!

You'll have a great GRIP, too by the end of the month! :)

-Skippy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum!

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the forum ... :hello:

OP
OP
N

NoSoup4u2

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all! Glad to be here. Now if that dang 10ft of snow will just...LEAVE...then maybe I can get this old Garrett Master Hunter and my Discovery 1100 a good testing...I might actually learn something! haha
But here's my frist "newbie" question. I'm reading up as much as I can, but nobody seems to know what "VDI" means. I know it has to do with the numbers that are assigned to a coin or a certain type of metal, but what exactly does VDI mean?
1) Video Display Image?
2) Variable depth Indicator?
3) Very deep item?
4) Various different items?
5) Variable discriminating Image?

I'm sure it's something to the effect of one of those, but does anyone ACTUALLY KNOW! :BangHead: :censored: LOL
So, I'm sending y'all out my 1st S.O.S. <<<<I KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS FOR SURE!! lmao :laughing7:

PS) Oh & Skippy....thanks for the info about taking it easy the first few times too! I throw out my rotator cuff a few years back, so I'm sure it'll remind me of that soon enough!
CHEERS & THANKS!

Last edited:

Mike70

Jan 23, 2015
Gold Coast, Queensland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortez, Tesoro Stingray, C&G Wildcat, Pistol Probe Pro. Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi Nosoup, welcome to the forum. I recently came home from a holiday in Ontario, never see snow where where I live, but I sure found out how cold it can get over there. My first detector was a Whites 5000D, and I paid $425 for it back then. from the amount of snow you say you've got, maybe you could make a $ finding peoples cars for them!

OP
OP
N

NoSoup4u2

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL!! Oddly enough Mike, I use to own a plow with a winch on the front bumper. If I couldn't dig them out, I'd pull them out!! But those days are gone....the once lovely winter scenery enjoyment was overpowered by a much more "warmly" trait called.......COMMON SENSE!! Now I look out my window from Nov.-Mar and I swear silently at my Father & Mother for lacking that trait. Dad was a pilot, and a globe trotter to say the least....why they picked Thunder Bay of all places to have me??....well, you know, I've got a yummy hot chocolate in my hand and I'm quietly standing at my window right now....yes yes, I'm still thinking of my dear old Mom & Dad!!!!!!!:BangHead: ???

OP
OP
N

NoSoup4u2

Tenderfoot
Feb 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Wayne!
Thanks for the welcome intro. I see you sell all makes and model MD's. So who better to ask for some advice. I'm in the process of making a decision about buying a "newer" MD. I love this old Garrett Master Hunter, but I think, even though it's 30+years old, it's quite advanced and I'll need to know what I'm doing to get the full benefits from this old girl. So she's gonna wait to be used once I get the hang of this new hobby.
But, I'm here to ask you for your advice/opinion. I want a new or nearly new MD. I have narrowed my search down to two possible choices. I really like the reviews on the Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter 2. Not many if any, have negative reviews on it. But those Duck Dynasty boys got that new Wildgame Innovations MX200E Gps Efx Metal Detector in the spotlight of the public. I've read quite a bit about it, but I can NOT find any reviews on it.
So Wayne, first off, do you think I'm heading in the right direction for my picks? If you feel I should be considering something else, I'M ALL EARS! .....OR, what do you think of these choices? If you think I should look elsewhere, I'm looking at spending only around $200-$250...maybe $300 max. Yes, I"m on a tight budget.
But, I'm hoping you or anyone here can give me some good advice about the best "bang for my buck!"
IF anyone wishes to contact me, my personal email (I hope that's cool to do here) but I can be reached at:
[email protected]
If anyone has links for me to review, please send them there if you wish, or of course here works too.
I know there is many different tastes, likes & dislikes, but by having a more open option, well lets just say, it'll keep me busy doing some research on whatever I've been recommended the most. In the winter months, TIME IS ALL I HAVE!
I really appreciate any help that could be offered.

THANK YOU WAYNE & ALL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread