i am new to Metal Detecting any tips?

codyelliott

Jun 4, 2015
New Palestine indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting and searching along a drainage ditch by my house i have found with a cheap metal detector a 1900 barber quarter in extremely fine condition, a 1941 walking liberty half in extremely fine condition, a 1944 mercury dime in the same condition andand indian head cent from 1901 in extremely fine condition. i have alsow fond a small rusted poor condition crow bar. any tips on where else i can hunt?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like your off to a very good start! Hunt anywhere there is dirt, and dig Baby dig!!! Cheers!

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the hobby and forums! I'd say you're doing VERY well!!! I've been detecting now for 2 years since retiring in 2013, so I go a lot, and with the exception of your mercury dime, all the coins you have found are STILL on my bucket list! I'd LOVE to find a Walking liberty or barber quarter! I've found 2 Barber dimes and 1 no date SLQ that I consider to be my personal best finds, but they don't hold a candle next to your finds, so congratulations on doing so well out of the starting gate!!

I haven't even broke out of the 1900's yet lol. I think hunting that drainage ditch was a great idea, hunting spots outside of the normal parks and schools can pay off nicely, as you have already discovered, I'll have to try that! Keep up the good work, it took me "only" 8 months to find my 1st silver coin, pretty pathetic lol but I'm glad I hung in there! I think you're well on your way to making some really great finds!

Last edited:

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Darn nice finds for a beginner. :thumbsup: I'd hit your property at different angles. If you started north to south, I'd then go over it from East to West. If your still pulling good targets I would then go at a 45 degree angle. Even the most hunted spots can still produce if you take your time and know your machine.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the show ... :headbang:

You're definitely off to a fantastic start indeed

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Cody; Greetings from Boston. Welcome to Tnet. First of all is where do you live ?? Second is go to the Sub Forums here and find a detecting Club near you. You will gin a lot of info on where to dig and you will make a lot of new friends who are into detecting in your area ok. Third is look for old houses and farms. Obtain permission by talking to the Owner or Manager. Then go have fun. Old farms are gold mines ok. Good Luck. Happy Hunting. Don't forget to Post here k. PEACE:RONB

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! congratulations on your very nice coin finds!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excelllent finds. First thing I would do, do some historical research on your area. Coins were in a drainage ditch, so I would think they were washing down from somewhere, so there's probably someplace around there that had a lot of activity going on in the past. Keep workin the ditch, but look for where the coins are coming from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread