Got a Garret Ace 250 for my son, but he ran into frustration. Help!

matt71

Jun 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!

I bought the above, as well as the pointer stick for my son's birthday.

However, he became frustrated when he tried to use it, and also told me there's nowhere for him to go and do it. I was hoping to learn myself, and then teach him as showing him how to do it would be less frustrating in my opinion.

I also wouldn't know where to go to detecting. He lives near Philly, so I am sure there is all kinds of stuff in the vicinity. I'm not exactly the type to go knocking on farmhouse doors.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

USN Retired

Nov 4, 2014
Leary GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNET from SW GA. I'd look at schools (now they are closed for the summer at most places), and parks, then start getting comfy with knocking and asking (JMO).

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
How old is your son? 4-14-40?

Watch youtube videos on the 'how to' section. There are lots of them available.

Then, research this site, for your state, and see where everyone else is hunting. That will give you a good idea of where to go.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Now, if you jump over to Google and enter (with quotes): "Garrett" "Ace 250" tutorials

You will be presented with a bunch of Vid's on using your new puppy. Also, browse Forum > Metal Detecting > Brands > Garrett.

Hope this helps...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here research comes into play.
Most communities allow detecting in public areas with a reasonable approach of leaving no sign of where recoveries were made and staying out of flower beds ect.
Where no sign prohibits detecting, while not near Philly I've never had a problem detecting parks ,boat launches, community owned fields and other public areas.
In time after learning a detector and making recoveries,when research turns up a long gone home a door knock can get tempting .
Big outdoor community events held in same area / sites a good bet at multiple recoveries. Or quieter areas where a few people have frequented often over the years.
Where were the payphones in his neighborhood if he is looking for coins?
Once proficient through practice if your son does business with someone and pays them money why not ask if he can swing a few minutes in that old grassy strip out front or under that big old shade tree in the parking lot?
Where people were in the past either lots at once or a few over the years on same site but it depends what he seeks to recover as to where..

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got some pretty good advice posted above :thumbsup:

Follow those and you should be in the treasure in no time ... Wel-come aboard ~

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! Have him start in school yards and parks, these places will give a lot of targets both good (keepers) and bad (junk). He will quickly learn what is good and bad. It takes some time to learn any detector even the beginner models, be encouraging, take your time and enjoy the hobby.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have google the metal detector model. There are plenty of videos on line that will assist in how to operate the detector, you might also find some videos on the pin pointer also. You are only limited to good producing site if you choose to be.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
You are located in the most treasure laden area of the entire USA. I went to Philly two weeks ago, specifically to go detecting! Here is the link to the post:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/today-s-finds/465867-philly-trip.html

You Tube is a great idea. There are tons of education videos. Get some good targets and some junk, and bury it in the ground (test garden) and practice on the items. Make sure that you bury some deeper (6-8") and some shallow (2-4"). This will let you "learn" the correct sound for the target that you are hunting.

Please keep in mind, this aint as easy as it looks. It takes practice and more practice. The finds you see on here are made some of the best detectorists in the world. Sometimes younger kids just don't have the patience to "learn" the machine. If he is young, then YOU have to get into it, and take him with YOU! He will be far more interested if dear old dad participates too.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you have specific questions.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand the frustration with a new hobby, but tell him to take his time and learn everything he can and before he knows it he will excel at this hobby. Young blood is good means he can go for longer periods of time.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 250 is a great beginner machine, notch out the discriminator so he only finds coins! This will spark his interest and get him into the hobby. It's kind of like deer hunting its no fun if you don't see any. Look at pop tabs, nails as the birds you see, pennies dimes are any deer quarters are a nice buck and silver is a trophy!

You have to get him on coins right away!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions