another newbie from CA

alexie90

Tenderfoot
Jun 26, 2015
Chelan County, WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI All

My son and I live in Northern CA but I'm originally from WA State. only been here a couple years... have been into some collecting off and off, mainly coin collecting, but its mainly newer coins, simply collecting from change I receive and putting them in folders. kinda hard to do when you use your debit card so much. but am hoping to get into more coin collecting and related items. we do own a metal detector, its a Bounty Hunter IV tracker. Havent used it as much as I would like. so many rules at times it seems about where you can use it and if you need a license or anything... finds nails just fine though. may take it to the beach tomorrow

also have tried roll hunting a little. my credit union apparently doesnt offer coins or rolls at least. so I went to one of the local bigger banks and the teller actually had to ask her manager if I could buy coins since I didnt have an acct there. have only tried it once after that response. but was able to get some $1 coins that day including an SBA and several Kennedy 1/2s. I usually put my coins in the folder slots and then will deposit the left overs after a while. really need some current coins from P mint too. especially the quarters.

Currently have been watching auctions on Ebay but for smaller items and trying to stay under a certain amount. may consider setting a limit I can buy on ebay every month.

so far my best coin find was totally by accident. abt 11 years ago up in WA state was transcribing a small cemetery, former mining town. had just finished transcribing the stones. and over in a small area off to the side, it had recently been plowed, right near the top of the ground sticking up just a little was an 1880 Morgan. extremely nice detail visible.

Suzanne

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wel-come to the club ... :occasion14:

Dirtslinger

Apr 6, 2013
Western Illinois
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000 w/NEL SS, Nokta Impact, Garrett Treasure Ace 300, Minelab Equinox 800, White's Coinmaster 4/DB
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Stick around, these folks managed to learn me a few things, so anyone can be taught!

S

stefen

NorCal...?

How about mid-cal...Your 400 miles from the Oregon border...:thumbsup:

S

stefen

NorCal...?

How about mid-cal...Your 400 miles from the Oregon border and a little over 500 from Mexico...:thumbsup:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum, and thank you for sharing your story.

Finding an 1880 Morgan dollar is a great start to the hobby. Metal detecting with your son will be remembered as special times...enjoy!

Good Luck this year.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T'Net.

Read the manual on that Tracker IV and do the air test as explained in it. That alone will give you a basic understanding of what it's telling you. Then take it out and use it/practice with it.

I started off with the same machine.
It's not a depth monster but it will find you treasure. I found silver coins, IH cents, wheaties, gold and silver rings, TONS of clad and TONS of trash with mine.
IMO it's a great starter machine; nice and simple yet surprisingly effective. If you have any questions just ask. You'll get plenty of answers here.

Good luck and HH

Last edited:

nor kal kid

Feb 19, 2014
northern kalifornia, Bay area
Detector(s) used
XLT, Mxt all pro, garrett pp.coils 10"DD, 950, 12"spyder.for mxt all pro. Coils for xlt 950 and 15" magnum force field "depth plus"mxt max coil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the bay area where are you from.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread