3 months into the hobby

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi, I just signed up after trying out detecting for 3 months in Hong Kong.

I got a cheap as chips Chinese detector to see if I liked the hobby, on my 2nd trip I found $5 USD in local currency as well as some interesting finds. It was a lot of fun and after giving it a few more goes I've decided to stick with the hobby and invest in something that can handle wet sand and shallow surf.

The thing is I don't know where to start. I did some research and the Garret AT Pro seems to be the right choice, but I'm getting conflicting information about the water proofness of it. On the Garret website it shows videos of how to use it in the beach surf and deal with false signals. However I've heard from 2 different sources it doesn't work in salt water and will break!

Also I did some research on the forum and it seems people recommend upgrading from a stock coil to a 5x8. Is there anything else I should do/buy to get the best out of it?

If the AT Pro can't handle salt water/surf can anyone recommend a similar model at a similar price range they've had success/experience with?

Thanks!

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT Pro does not handle salt water very well. You can use it in the surf and ocean if you ground balance and decrease sensitivity BUT it looses its depth. Mine only got about 4".
It does very well on land and fresh water. It is water proof to 10'. Mine leaked and Garrett repaired promptly under the warranty.

Others here will recommend a machine in the same price range but be prepared for a lot of trade offs. I went to the CTX 3030.

OP
OP
F

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Thanks tcornel. I don't understand what you mean by trade offs, you mean pros and cons?

The CTX 3030 is right out of my price range lol, I can handle 600-700 USD max.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We;-come aboard ... :notworthy:

Head over to Kellyco , there ya can do comparisons on the different types of detectors and what they offer might help some

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FeroxDraken, check your private messages and welcome to TreasureNet. .....

OP
OP
F

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Thanks guys, already learning a lot but still got a lot to learn any help is appreciated!

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard FeroxDraken!

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
If the AT Pro can't handle salt water/surf can anyone recommend a similar model at a similar price range they've had success/experience with?

Thanks!

You have a few options and should be able to find something in that price range. No the AT Pro will not work well in the wet salty sand or surf. It will work in fresh water though. The issue is that it is single frequency and you need a multifrequency machine. Here are your options:

1. Get a used CZ21, Excalibur, or Beach Hunter ID. They discriminate and are made for the beach/surf. The CZ and Excal used are probably closer to $1000 but if you look you will find them for cheaper. The BHID is only $1000 new so you can probably find a used one of those for much cheaper. As far as which is the best from everything I have read they are all very similar and everyone has their preferences. This is what I would do if I was starting out again. When I started out last summer I bought a new CZ21 but should have just gotten a used one since they are built like tanks and last forever. The excal is a bit more fragile and does require more maintenance/upgrades but probably holds it value better than the others assuming it doesnt break.

2. Get a PI machine. The issue is that they do not discriminate so you will dig everything included fish hooks a foot deep and more. But you can get a brand new sand shark for $500 and it has a lifetime warranty. Other PI machines in that price range are the garrett sea hunter which is about $650 and White Dual Field which is about $800. That is for new ones though so used would be much cheaper.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! "AdamBomb" gave you some good advice.

I have both the AT Pro and AT Gold and work very well for my needs. The AT Pro will work very well in freshwater, in salt not so much, but in the sand it will be fine. For saltwater and some fresh, I use the Garrett Infinium, but their are other machines.

Good Luck in your detector search.

OP
OP
F

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
2. Get a PI machine. The issue is that they do not discriminate so you will dig everything included fish hooks a foot deep and more. But you can get a brand new sand shark for $500 and it has a lifetime warranty. Other PI machines in that price range are the garrett sea hunter which is about $650 and White Dual Field which is about $800. That is for new ones though so used would be much cheaper.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice. Based on my situation in Hong Kong which is 1) a fishing city 2) a polluted waters city, I don't think a PI would suit me because I would find a considerable higher amount of trash than in other waters around the world. I went to the beach a week ago that was quite close to a fishing boat berth, the amount of rusty iron bars and bits I found was disgusting and also impossible to deal with. We are connected to the pearl river delta, which is like China's waste dumping ground, a lot of crud washes down river onto our beaches, so I really need the discrimination ability even if it means I lose some depth, it's a trade off that will make life easier here.

But THANK YOU for telling me there are different types of MDs; VFI and PI. I did some homework so that is encouraging and motivating because I know a bit more :)

I will have a go at some of the used stuff and see what comes out but I am very excited about getting an AT Pro.

OP
OP
F

FeroxDraken

Jul 12, 2015
Hong Kong
Detector(s) used
White beach ID 300
Primary Interest:
Welcome to the forum! "AdamBomb" gave you some good advice.

I have both the AT Pro and AT Gold and work very well for my needs. The AT Pro will work very well in freshwater, in salt not so much, but in the sand it will be fine. For saltwater and some fresh, I use the Garrett Infinium, but their are other machines.

Good Luck in your detector search.

Yes, I'm not looking to stand waste deep in the waters here, the amount of trash is disgusting and because of the heat, night time sweeping is easier. I'm not willing to get into the ocean in the dark when we have sharks and swells from sea storms! :S

But for surf/a couple of feet in the water I think it should be enough my friend who introduced me has had great results without having to get his knees wet. Thanks for the intel!

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread