New Guy With Questions about Towed Magnetometers

GreginAlaska

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2015
Homer Alaska
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greetings all. I just found this board and joined up. I've searched the board a bit and can't seem to find forums or threads that have answers to my particular questions. My interests are looking for wrecks with towed magnetometers. I have lots of questions about how to get started and would appreciate any help or suggestions you may have. I live in Alaska, so all the wrecks are historically fairly recent; within the last 150 years. The good news is that most of the wrecks in Alaska should have significant amounts of iron, so shouldn't a towed magnetometer work well? Some questions I have are;
1 - What would be a good magnetometer to work in water depths of up to 250'. I am looking for significant amounts of iron, like engine blocks and anchors, so wouldn't that be a pretty good target?
2 - Do they come with software that combines GPS and magnetometer readings to make a chart, or is that commercially available?
3 - I will be using an aluminum tow boat. Does this have an adverse effect on magnetometer detection?
4 - Does anybody use ROV's to inspect wrecks prior to sending divers down. I don't know much about the technology, but that looks like a good way to prospect a wreck quickly if a magnetometer finds something. Better than diving and finding an old washing machine or something.
5 - Can someone give me a link to ROV websites?
I welcome all feedback, thanks again for your help.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Alaska for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

DirtWarrior

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Garrett AT Pro
Vulcan 360 Pin Pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No clue about cha questions BUT ...

Wel-come to the club :occasion14:

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Shipwrecks forum is the place for answers to your questions.

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread