vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: California for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state. You will be just fine after you get through the learning curve when it comes to places not to MD - common sense rules for the most part. You might consider joining a club nearby to help...

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think you'll be fine here in SoCal. I have never had a problem at any beach or the few parks I've hunted.
The best time for parks is when nobody is around. Always cut good plugs at the parks and Fill your holes.
Even fill your holes at the beach. If private property, ask for permission

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
H

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!

I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley and explored the Southland (60's - 80's) without any worries of where to go or potential violations, trespassing, etc. Now into my early 60's, so many freedoms have been taken away. Being an avid fisherman/hunter/outdoorsman, this has been a harsh reality for me and my buddies to say the least. We grew up with the freedoms that the newer generation can only imagine. One of the reasons I've considered MD'ing is due to the lack of local saltwater fishing and hunting spots that are no longer accessible. Signs posted everywhere and fences in places where they never used to be. From watching all the youtube videos, It gave me a feeling of excitement and freedom about MD'ing, not to mention that my young daughters are thrilled about getting into this hobby. Now that I've read into some of these rules/regs, it kinda reminds me of the government policies that I'm running from in my other outdoor activities. Oh well..... I'll dive into this for awhile and see how it works out.

Texas Ed

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2016
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
AT Pro - CZ-3D - Tesoro Cortez - Sea Hunter Mark II - GTI 2500 - GTAx 550 - F75 S E - F19 - Pro Pointer AT - Pro Pointer II - Perdator Raptor Model 31
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome form S/E Texas and wish you many great finds.

CladiatorMax

Nov 1, 2012
Garden Grove, California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II & Sovereign GT / Garrett Carrot / Stavr Scoops
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think you'll be fine here in SoCal. I have never had a problem at any beach or the few parks I've hunted.
The best time for parks is when nobody is around. Always cut good plugs at the parks and Fill your holes.
Even fill your holes at the beach. If private property, ask for permission

Hey Happa, Tommy is right and provides sound advice, you won't have issues in SoCal. Don't get bummed out, this is an amazing hobby with a great big fan base. Welcome to TNet.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
..... After reading some of these rules, regs, where to, where not to, MD illegal here, illegal there....I"m kinda reluctance now....

Ah, welcome to the psychology of it. You pinned exactly your own musing's origins.

It's sort of like shark attack stories: No matter how isolated, no matter how much of a fluke, no matter how many people swim w/o getting attacked. Yet guess what you'll fear if you go swimming ? IMMINENT SHARK ATTACK. Same thing for a newbie who looks at the "scary stories" of laws. Or someone who got hassled somewhere, etc... What will be their instinct fear ? It will be "oh my gosh, laws everywhere, and everyone hates md'ing, and I might get busted".

Then, as if in a self-fulfilling loop, guess what they often do ? Watltz into city hall wherever they're at, asking "Hi, can I metal detect in the parks here?". And they find some bored pencil pusher (who perhaps had images of geeks with shovels), to give this "pressing question" an arbitrary "no" answer. Ie.: the old "no one cared UNTIL you asked" phenomenon.

Thus it's as Cladiator -max and TommyB say: Just go. I mean, sure: Avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. And don't be in the middle of deep turf retrievals when busy-body gripers are watching, etc....

There is one rule though that is strictly enforced here in CA though: I get 30% of all your finds. I accept paypal. Now get busy and find some good stuff ! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys!!!! I got it!!!!