vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey kinda local,

The City of Roanoke requires a permit for metal detecting city parks. It used to be free, but I haven't renewed since my last one expired.

The contact used to be: [email protected]

She's a very nice lady, I've spoken to her on the phone. She told me which parks she thought were safe. Some are in distressed areas.

I had permits for two years, and never went = shame on me.

I hope this helps. We're only about an hour apart. Tell us what your detector is and you'll be overwhelmed by knowledge!

Keep the faith, it's Deep these days all around us!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yes, Roanoke, Va. (city) & County MAY have some "LOST" buried "cache" from the Civil War days; it was a BIG fear after the Upper Shenandoah Valley was RAZED (Roanoke area was considered the LOWER Shenandoah Valley). Lexington, Va. & VMI were DESTROYED... then, REBUILT. LOTS of stuff was found, according to SOME reports...

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello from White Plains, New York! :occasion14:

Tradertom

Jul 20, 2016
South Central Georgia
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, XP DEUS, AT PRO plus several older detector going back 45 years.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Georgia.
You are certainly sitting in the midst of a lot of old history. Good luck uncovering it in the future.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet!!
Not a place in Virginia that wasn't touched by the
Civil War. Lots of Civil War experts on this site.

OP
OP
TWray

TWray

Sep 5, 2016
Roanoke VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the big welcome guys. I appreciate the links. Several sub forums I am interested in. Roanoke still does offer a permit for its parks for free. Roanoke (city) was born out of the industrial rev., and the RR. So pre 1880 things are a little scarce. Although there was a little CW battle in Salem, more of a scirmish. Plus the "Carolina Road" run through the area. So I have been keeping busy with these. I have an AT Pro and have been very happy with its performance. I have found several round balls, minies, and what I believe to be some Sharps, a couple rings, various other trinkets, and about a 1/2 pound of clad coinage this summer. Plus and a ton of iron hardware that is probably all trash but I'm curious about its origins or history. I am still learning. I will be picking ya'lls [yous guys] brains regularly. I got to learn the tones a little better and discipline myself on my searches. Excuse my spelling and grammar. Thanks again.

DavidK

Oct 19, 2016
Roanoke
Detector(s) used
F-75 Fisher
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey TW... Welcome to the site. I am new here, (still trying to feel my way around on the site) and im in Roanoke. Trying to come up with some good places to go other than the usual parks. I feel like they have been combed over many times.... Ive been looking at some historic maps of the area in hope of finding some pre 1900 locations and searching the land owners. If you have any suggestions or ideas, please message me and if I do I will do the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread