Hello from beneath the snow in Massachusetts!

GGYaDingus

Jan 8, 2017
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had an interest in detecting since I was a little boy. I remember going out to beaches with my dad and his Whites Coinmaster in the 80's, and ever since I've had the coin hunting bug. I bought my first detector about 15 years ago, a Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, and never quite took the hobby too seriously - and never really found anything good. I decided to start doing my homework late last year and managed to find a walking liberty half, barber dime, and '57 rosie in two days! Needless to say, persistence and research paid off.

I just bought a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, and managed to get it out for one day this past week - very different and a much better machine than the old 2200, but found nothing noteworthy except for a wheatie and a 1959 Tootsietoys Oldsmobie toy car. So I wouldn't consider myself a complete noob, but I know I still have a lot to learn.

I'd like to hear your opinions on my selection for a new detector. I watched several videos and read what I could find, but it seems that most people are simply 'anti-bounty hunter'. One video in particular that sealed the deal for me was a comparison between the land ranger pro and a garrett ace 400. Both machines performed fairly equally, but the price was significantly cheaper for the bounty hunter. Anyone here who's familiar with my new machine that has some tips?

Looking forward to some good conversation, and sharing some good finds once the ground thaws up here!

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Massachusetts for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumright:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not familiar with the Bounty Hunters but hey if it works for you,, that is what works.
Welcome to Tnet

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your detector choice I guess is fine if you are going to hunt schools...parks and the occasional sandy beach
but searching older and hunted out sites - which Ma. is full of - you will need a machine with a little more "umf"
"oomf" - the Ace 400 is entry level machine or step up from an entry level - lot of spots in Ma. have been pounded for yrs
and most veterans use higher level machines that can reach stuff a foot + down
I hunted an old park that was being hit by a guy that used a 400 - he saw me and said "you aint gonna get much here...I live over there and hammer this place." He said he gets new stuff "fresh drops" mostly - I told him "yup..you cleaned out all the new stuff for sure." "but you missed the seated dime...shield nickel , V nickel and few indian heads which is what I was looking for." He could not believe it . I showed him the area and told him you got to get a better machine and hunt slow to get them. He was PO'ed. As he walked away I got another whisper - dug down a foot and pulled another worn seated dime -
told him "I got another" and showed him how deep it was. SO ...if youre satisfied with getting the newer stuff - good luck with what you got - if you decide you
may want to get the older stuff - you might want to up grade even more down the road
if you are bored - I hunt Ma.,Ct. nd RI a lot
been doing it since 1975 age 12
just a sample of some of my stuff from the last 20yrs
Im mostly a water hunter now but do get out to some older spots on land still
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-1/
if you are really bored - some articles ive written
https://www.flickr.com/photos/casper-2/

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions: