Hello from the frozen tundra in northern MI!

RainbowMama

Feb 27, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone! I'm super excited to finally join the forum. I've been lurking for months, reading what everyone finds and doing tons of research. I finally got my first detector today. A Garrett Ace 250. I took it out for a test run today, just in my drive way and around the side of my house. We were just attacked by a big snow/ice storm, so the ground is a little solid as snow covered at the moment. I did manage to find a rusted Bud Light cap and two clad cents. It's still exciting and I can't wait until Spring so I can get out there for real! 2.27.17.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts! GL & HH

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome fellow Michigander! Make sure you keep the first old pull tab you find. It will be a reminder that in order to find Gold you will have to bring the tabs to the surface too. Good luck!

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet from Nick in CT! :thumbsup:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
RainbowMama:

Where are you located in Michigan? There are a number of ghost towns in your state - not to mention some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

There are also cottages built or owned by wealthy businessmen, doctors, attorneys, etc. These are often sites for caches of untaxed income. And probably some interesting rumrunner plants from Prohibition.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
R

RainbowMama

Feb 27, 2017
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RainbowMama:

Where are you located in Michigan? There are a number of ghost towns in your state - not to mention some of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

There are also cottages built or owned by wealthy businessmen, doctors, attorneys, etc. These are often sites for caches of untaxed income. And probably some interesting rumrunner plants from Prohibition.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

I live way up north by the Mackinaw Bridge. It's very touristy here. But there are SO many old areas and small towns. My grandmother and her family grew up in a small wooded area that is pretty vacant these days. So I'm looking forward to spending some time up that way. I'll have to do some research on the ghost towns in the area. I'm not familiar with the term. But I'll be looking into it now!

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
RainbowMama:

A number of years ago there was a series of Michigan Ghost Town books. I believe the author's name was Dodge. From memory there were a total of five volumes, each one covering part of the state. Your area has a number of deserted lumber camps, I'm sure.

I would recommend you read the WPA Guide to Michigan. If your local public library doesn't have a copy, they can get one through the inter-library loan system. Every treasure hunter should read the Guide for her (or his) state, and city if there is one!

Always get permission from the land owner - and when the weather warms up, have fun out there!

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread