Newbe from Va.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TNet! What part of Virginia do you hail from?

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smith Mt. Lake
Hey Deepseeker I see you were in Nam .So was I,.... 9/69 to 9/70 @ Phan Rang airbase .Have a good one :) !

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Another Viet Vet! Make sure you take a look at the Barracks forum!

I'd suggest you purchase basically a water & land detector - the AT Pro for example. But, for water you'd also need to pick up a sand scoop as well.

Also note that SML requires a yearly $20 permit to search, and that lake is hit pretty hard by many others.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smith Mt. Lake
Hey Deepseeker I see you were in Nam .So was I,.... 9/69 to 9/70 @ Phan Rang airbase .Have a good one :) !

Thanks. I have a request into 'Santa' for a Minelab CTX 30-30 :)

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Morning all
Been M.D. on & off for decades.Figured I join the crowd here.Would like to buy a 'Good' MD someday.:hello:
Welcome, glad you decided to join in with the rest of us "Crazies". LOL Also Viet Nam Vet, Navy 1964-1968 Nov. 67 Fire support, close in Destroyer with 5"/38's max range with new barrels was 18,700 Yards Natical, or just over 9 miles.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Virginia for information (i.e., clubs, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys !:)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks. I have a request into 'Santa' for a Minelab CTX 30-30 :)

Well, you're certainly thinking big on that!

Start paying attention to the Treasure Related Stuff For Sale forum, but if you pick up a used one there note that Minelab issued an updated version a couple years ago which changed the way o-rings seated - due to water leakage issues. Also, the Minelab Equinox is slated for release soon. It's "downsized" a bit in programing but still using the programing basis and is said to be waterproof.

The learning curve to the CTX is longer than most machines on the market. As a first time user it'll blow your mind and stunt your growth :) The best approach to it is just dig the solid signals and "grow" with it over time. I'm on my third year with it, read the book by Andy and attended his boot camp as well.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Another Viet Vet! Make sure you take a look at the Barracks forum!

I'd suggest you purchase basically a water & land detector - the AT Pro for example. But, for water you'd also need to pick up a sand scoop as well.

Also note that SML requires a yearly $20 permit to search, and that lake is hit pretty hard by many others.

If ocean beach area you will have to have a sand scoop. Heavier objects sink to the "shell layer" and once you break the shell layer it will drop faster than you can dig with a shovel.

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I know its big bucks but I've fooled around with cheap -o detectors for years (and have found some good stuff & gold). Time to get a good detector.We aint getting any younger

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Possible idea for "new users" with MD's. Get some golf tees and put different metal objects in the ground and "mark the place" with a golf tee. That way you will never loose your target as you get use to the sound differences for different types of metals.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll also need a good pin pointer, I've the Garrett Carrot - which is water proof. A pin pointer will save you tons of time - I view it as an absolute necessity.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Digging, I thought that was for Fishing. LOL A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. It is nice when the wife says, "Oh it looks like a nice day, why don't you go fishing."

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum from Massachusetts!

OP
OP
RTR

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice