MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings,

Not new to detecting.....have done it on-and-off over the years. My first introduction was when spending a summer with family in another city...many years ago when I was 11 or 12. My cousin's parents had gotten him a White's detector....don't recall the model.

So, I'd tag along with him, but then my Uncle saw an ad at Radio Shack....so we went there and they had a Radio Shack metal detector kit for approx. $25.00. Bought it, put it together with my Uncle's help....that was MY first machine. Very basic, but did work. At least then, my cousin and I could both hit the local parks and school playgrounds together.

Used that machine for a while, then interest drifted away. Many years later, got back into it and purchased my own White's detector...their top of the line at that time. Loved it....a REAL quality and versatile machine. Used it for a while, then put it down again...but the detector was always properly stored and still in GREAT condition.

So, recently resurrecting the interest....if anyone in North Carolina or South Carolina wants to reach out - feel free. Always good to get a view of who's out there in the region and what their interest and results are.

I will say this....from many years ago, when I originally started...I immediately noticed there have been many more laws against detecting...sadly. Back when we were youngsters, my cousin and I freely went to local parks and schools - no problem. I see many schools and playgrounds posted against detecting now.

Regards,

MD_DET_001

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from San Jose, CA!

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to TreasureNet 001!
Many of those “no metal detecting” laws are/were enacted as a direct result of careless people digging holes and not leaving the grounds as they found it. They dug too large of holes and then threw the trash they dug right by the hole. To make matters worse, the did not cover the holes back up when they were done.
Another reason, one may run into, somebody new to metal detecting, stopped to ask permission if they could dig on the property. Where no one cared before them asking for permission to dig, afterwards it became off limits.
There are other examples of course but this will suffice for now.
Best of luck out there!

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :hello:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to TNet! :hello:
Nick

OP
OP
M

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes...understood....much like my backpacking / camping, I strive to follow the "Leave No Trace" mentality.
When I dig a hole, I try and make it as small as possible, and leave a "hinge" on the grass plug so it doesn't disrupt grass growth much.
If I don't see a public area clearly posted against detecting....I don't ask for permission...just hunt it, and I've never had an issue.

MD_NET_001

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
Welcome Aboard MD_DET_001! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - members may have more success helping you (your location may help etc.)...

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum! :occasion14:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello and welcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

OP
OP
M

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the forum from Port Allegheny , Pennsylvania

Thank you.....you are in a State that I've visited a few times on fly fishing trips. I generally fish trout around the Boiling Springs, Carlisle, and Harrisburg areas. In addition, I have books authored by some of the greatest pioneering legends in fly fishing from Pennsylvania.

Regards...

MD

OP
OP
M

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello and welcome from Southeast Louisiana... "D"

Thanks for the welcome....we have something in common. Although I no longer live in Louisiana, I did spend a large portion of my life there. Mostly in south central Louisiana, but also lived near New Orleans for a few years.
One of the funniest question I was ever asked about New Orleans...and they were serious.

I lived in a suburb, but would just say New Orleans as people commonly know that location. So, I was traveling out of state and asked where I lived.....I replied, Near New Orleans." They asked...."Oh, New Orleans....isn't Louisiana somewhere around there?"
Surprised....I replied, "YEAH....ALL AROUND IT!!" LOL

Regards,

MD

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you.....you are in a State that I've visited a few times on fly fishing trips. I generally fish trout around the Boiling Springs, Carlisle, and Harrisburg areas. In addition, I have books authored by some of the greatest pioneering legends in fly fishing from Pennsylvania.

Regards...

MD

MD, Welcome to T Net from Michigan! I have also flyfished PA near Carlisle. We could share stories for hours! You are absolutely correct about the best way to dig holes. When I started detecting, the digging tool was a screwdriver which didn't leave any sign that anyone had been there.

OP
OP
M

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MD, Welcome to T Net from Michigan! I have also fly fished PA near Carlisle. We could share stories for hours! You are absolutely correct about the best way to dig holes. When I started detecting, the digging tool was a screwdriver which didn't leave any sign that anyone had been there.

True..back when I started, my cousin had a White's Detector and I had this Radio Shack kit detector. I would also use a screwdriver....for many shallow depth coins, it was effective to just "pop" them up with virtually no detectable damage to the ground.
I still remember when I found my first "pocket dump" of several coins....was so excited.

Yes, on fly fishing...I love the Carlisle PA area...LOTS of fly fishing history around that region! I have both of Charles Fox's books (one signed), Vince Marinaro's books, and George Harvey's book. Pennsylvania Limestoner fly fishing pioneers for sure.
Wish I could have fished the Letort Spring Run in those guy's time....well, better in the visits I have had than never.
I like to think of the Letort Spring Run as the limestone stream visited by "experienced" fly fishermen, who think they're pretty good....only to discover that after a day on the Letort...they are not.

MD_DET_001

Last edited:

AJH

Jan 10, 2021
Gainesville, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Bounty Hunter
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Virginia! My very first detector was also a Radio Shack special.

OP
OP
M

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from Virginia! My very first detector was also a Radio Shack special.

Thanks for the greeting.....I once lived in your State. In Newport News....only about 11 miles from Colonial Williamsburg.
At the time, I was on a LONG hiatus from metal detecting and no longer had any equipment. It was not until later, after I left Virginia, that I purchased my SPECTRA V3.

MD_DET_001

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread