Holly's CS and CSA buckles off The Shermon wreck off little River inlet

hollyberry7

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2021
Wilmington NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any of you know of anyone actually finding Civil War belt buckles on The Sherman? I used a scooter backwards and deep in the sand I found 3 buckles according to my log book. (I might have given the 3rd to a dive buddy.) So far they have been deemed as Reproductions. Does anyone know of anyone placing reproductions on this wreck? Or know anyone that I can talk to.

( Small Hx) My Uncle has a Dive business out of Southport NC. This find was one of several on the Sherman (keys, door knobs, US bridle piece and the buckles) my first year of diving. I found them in the late 80s and they have been collecting dust in my curio cabinet since. When Civil war relics were being vandalized and were hot topics in the Wilmington area trying to get things out of Raleigh to fort fisher my buckles became a topic.
Before I really stick my foot in it.. I would love to hear of someone who knows that the wreck was padded with fake/replicas as a business ploy. Or, could I possibly have rare or even one of a kind type buckles. Can anyone help with this before I start my authenticity quest? I know where I got them... I found them myself and if they are authentic, I think I and my buckles might be your next big topic.

ANY help would be appreciated. Thanks, Holly. ATTACH=CONFIG]1908315[/ATTACH] 1593823942052.png 1593824310753.png the last nice buckle collection is not mine. Just couldnt figure out how to get it off.

Attachments

• 1593823488353.png
    1593823488353.png
    530.6 KB · Views: 61
  • ovel csa buckle.jpg
    ovel csa buckle.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 263
  • 1593824369131.png
    1593824369131.png
    545.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.
Nice finds. :thumbsup:
I'm not going to be any help but I hope you are able to determine the authenticity of them. The ferrous loops on the back of the one seems like they should have rusted out long ago but maybe there just wasn't enough oxygen at the level you found them to rust away?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been very fortunate on buying buckles. I only bought a couple and they were ok. A few more I bought but had to return as they were fakes.

The CSA if that is the one with the "arrowheads" on the back, well, the Confederates didn't use an arrowhead on their backs.

The CS - the letters are spaced incorrectly. I bought two of these from the same guy and had to return them.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Jon from s/e Michigan 8-) :cat::occasion14: :headbang:

OP
OP
H

hollyberry7

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2021
Wilmington NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure on the loops, but I do know that metal under the sand in salt water holds up better then metal above sand. One of My questions.... The three buckles I found in '87 were all 3 together within inches apart. To me that indicated a possible shipment as opposed to a not so honest person being not so honest to their diving clients. If that kind of person was staging finds for clients, I believe they would have scattered them. Hummmmmm.... gonna keep chugging for answers. I'm obsessed with it now. isn't that what this site is full of?? The obsessed that is.
I'm not really looking for authenticity here. I've heard the words reproductions and fakes plenty. What I'm really looking for is any info on other artifacts found on this wreck. or anyone who has heard or knows of someone being dishonest to bump up their no. of charters. I know the description of the ships cargo states "US buckles". I think I am trying to find a reason not to peruse the authenticity process before I make a fool of myself. If I just had a couple of blanks filled. The Shipwreck section of thr forum might get me closer to my quest.
In my situation.. What would you do?... take ppl's word that they are fake from a few pictures? Or dream that you might have your own form of Lottery ticket and keep searching? New to this whole thing .... I'm the dreamer. Things are called "one of a kind" for a reason. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!!! Hope to vent again soon.:laughing7:

OP
OP
H

hollyberry7

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2021
Wilmington NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for their dishonesty on your buckles. I hope I am not a victim myself. I have learned so much I might have to find the scam artist If they are reproductions) to thank them for such a wonderful experience. Both the exhilaration of the find and the opportunity to talk to wonderful people trying to help anyway they can.

The arrows are on the CS buckle. The loops are the CSA.

Thanks for replying. ANY info at this point helps with this wonderful puzzle.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My rectangle had NO hooks on back, and that was about 40 years ago. The hooks rust off rather fast depending on the soil. Good find if they are the real deal

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure on the loops, but I do know that metal under the sand in salt water holds up better then metal above sand. One of My questions.... The three buckles I found in '87 were all 3 together within inches apart. To me that indicated a possible shipment as opposed to a not so honest person being not so honest to their diving clients. If that kind of person was staging finds for clients, I believe they would have scattered them. Hummmmmm.... gonna keep chugging for answers. I'm obsessed with it now. isn't that what this site is full of?? The obsessed that is.
I'm not really looking for authenticity here. I've heard the words reproductions and fakes plenty. What I'm really looking for is any info on other artifacts found on this wreck. or anyone who has heard or knows of someone being dishonest to bump up their no. of charters. I know the description of the ships cargo states "US buckles". I think I am trying to find a reason not to peruse the authenticity process before I make a fool of myself. If I just had a couple of blanks filled. The Shipwreck section of thr forum might get me closer to my quest.
In my situation.. What would you do?... take ppl's word that they are fake from a few pictures? Or dream that you might have your own form of Lottery ticket and keep searching? New to this whole thing .... I'm the dreamer. Things are called "one of a kind" for a reason. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply!!! Hope to vent again soon.:laughing7:

I absolutely agree with you and would be after the same answers. Best of success with your quest.

OP
OP
H

hollyberry7

Tenderfoot
Mar 7, 2021
Wilmington NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE: since I introduced myself I did find some info on a discussion in 07 on your Shipwreck forum. I dont know exactly what was found but I know where they went from there. It went to the a SC museum and will be my next step. Hopefully there were CS and CSA buckles and they were authenticated by the museum. Still with that known, I am still very interested in any info or advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread