Ghost town of San Pedro--MDing this weekend

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
The ruins of the town of San Pedro NM, located west and north of the San Pedro gold mine is privately owned but I have permission to MD there anytime and will be going hopefully this coming Sunday (9 Aug 09) weather permitting. It was purchased at the same time as the mine property, nearly 30 yrs ago.
Because it has always been "posted" property, to the best knowledge of all concerned there has never been a metal detector passed anywhere on the property. It has the potential of being an interesting time any day I go. The area is 37 acres.
Here is some more general information:

There was an active gold strike here by 1846 and sporadic work continued until 1880 when the San Pedro and Canon del Agua Company started full scale hydraulic operations. A formal townsite was laid out including a general store, hotel operated by Callaway & Patterson, three saloons and enough houses for 400 people. Eventually a large copper mine was opened 2 miles away by the same company. By that time large scale litigations erupted over mineral rights and many of the towns prominent citizens were jailed after attempting to seize property belonging to the company. The lack of water and litigation spelled the end of the copper mine but by 1887 gold was found again. Thomas Wright opened the famous Lucky Mine and the smelter was once again opened. New businesses and homes came to life including Delmonico's restaurant. Then in 1888 the courts ruled against the company in regards to mineral rights for several thousand acres. The next year the Lewisohn family acquired the company property and operated the Santa Fe Gold and Copper Company. Mining continued here in spurts through WWI but shortly after when the price of copper failed the buildings were raized. A W.S.Carnahan operated some of the mines during the late 1920's and a store and post office was re-established between 1927 and 1930. Today only a few coke ovens remain along with a cemetery and some foundations.
Minstrel

jag1022

Nov 23, 2008
Socorro, NM
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II sl
which San Pedro are you speaking of? There is a San Pedro NM near San Antonio in Socorro Co as well. I would be interested in joining you some weekend. I live in Socorro.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If the site is no secret to history books, and with picturesque intact ruins, begging to be hunted, then trust me: It's been hunted. Even if the current owners or caretakers say they've never seen a detector, they probably just don't know. It could be a previous owner who said yes, or another family member, or a worker who's uncle talked him into it, so they were just discreet ("afterall, I work here"), or a utility person who had the gate key, or any of a million scenarios.

I saw firsthand this psychology many times, as a club president, and long time md'r: Some newbie comes into the club meeting, and secretly confides in me that he's got "a sure fire place that's never been detected". Turns out, he's on to a lead in a easy-to-find history book, about some stage stop or whatever. But what cracks me up is the "... and it's never been detected before". Why would he say that? Because whoever answered his knock at the door told him that! (can't argue with the owner, eh?). But naturally, we will have worked the snot out of the site 20 yrs. earlier ::) I've seen this concept many times.

Another example: I worked a yard of a 1910s home, with my first metal detector, when I was a jr. high kid in the late 1970s. Just knocked on the door, and an old man said "sure, help yourself". Fast forward to about 1980, and I had the newest vlf/tr to try out! Wanted to see how it would do on a place where I'd already worked, so I went back to the same house, now that a few years had elapsed, and knocked on the door again. This time an elderly lady answered the door, and said "sure, go ahead. No one's ever tried that here before" ::) Then fast forward again to about 1983, and I had the latest greatest vlf discriminator. Once again, thinking of where to see how it stacked up to my older machines, I again knocked on that same door. This time a middle aged lady answered the door, and said "sure, go ahead. No one's ever detected here before" She then went on to say how this was her parents home, but their elderly parents (must've been the elderly people I recalled from earlier) had left to go live in a retirement home. So she was there packing up their affairs. But she was certain that no one had detected there before, because she never heard them say anything about it :P

See how that works? And even if for none of the above sample reasons, quite frankly, sometimes people just ... uh ... "discreetly" work sites, so perhaps whomever you're talking to just doesn't know.

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
If the site is no secret to history books, and with picturesque intact ruins, begging to be hunted, then trust me: It's been hunted. Even if the current owners or caretakers say they've never seen a detector, they probably just don't know. It could be a previous owner who said yes, or another family member, or a worker who's uncle talked him into it, so they were just discreet ("afterall, I work here"), or a utility person who had the gate key, or any of a million scenarios.

I saw firsthand this psychology many times, as a club president, and long time md'r: Some newbie comes into the club meeting, and secretly confides in me that he's got "a sure fire place that's never been detected". Turns out, he's on to a lead in a easy-to-find history book, about some stage stop or whatever. But what cracks me up is the "... and it's never been detected before". Why would he say that? Because whoever answered his knock at the door told him that! (can't argue with the owner, eh?). But naturally, we will have worked the snot out of the site 20 yrs. earlier ::) I've seen this concept many times.

I agree with you almost 100% I have seen that work personally. However...You are probably not aware as too the extreme most landowners here in New Mexico go to. They all know each other. If you are even seen walking on private property you are toast!!! One rancher told me with a, (straight face) I don't even allow jackrabbits on my property. Let me tell you, it's a tough deal getting on private property around here.

Another example: I worked a yard of a 1910s home, with my first metal detector, when I was a jr. high kid in the late 1970s. Just knocked on the door, and an old man said "sure, help yourself". Fast forward to about 1980, and I had the newest vlf/tr to try out! Wanted to see how it would do on a place where I'd already worked, so I went back to the same house, now that a few years had elapsed, and knocked on the door again. This time an elderly lady answered the door, and said "sure, go ahead. No one's ever tried that here before" ::) Then fast forward again to about 1983, and I had the latest greatest vlf discriminator. Once again, thinking of where to see how it stacked up to my older machines, I again knocked on that same door. This time a middle aged lady answered the door, and said "sure, go ahead. No one's ever detected here before" She then went on to say how this was her parents home, but their elderly parents (must've been the elderly people I recalled from earlier) had left to go live in a retirement home. So she was there packing up their affairs. But she was certain that no one had detected there before, because she never heard them say anything about it :P

See how that works? And even if for none of the above sample reasons, quite frankly, sometimes people just ... uh ... "discreetly" work sites, so perhaps whomever you're talking to just doesn't know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread