hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm new to the site. I've also read the book you mentioned. I know most treasure stories are entertainment but I also suspect stories have some grain of truth. Most finds I try to back up usually referring to Northrop's book, Minerals of New Mexico, 1959 that I found years ago. The book lists mineral finds, both anonymous and in mining reports. Reported finds in the Monzano's were in Hell canyon and Tigeras region. I have also heard of old silver smelting in the Monzano's SW side that should still be visible. No one builds a smelter for no reason. The silver smelter ruins in the Sandias is in the NE side near Medera. I haven't made it there yet.
Some gold was found in the creek in Placetis that drops down from the Sandias. One theory of mine as why not as much metal as would be thought to be in these mountains is the limestone cap on the top from the ancient sea is still there and hiding any quartz outcroppings. The cap is very visible from s 14.
If I wanted to look for metal I might try to find tailing's by the old smelters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread