baysh

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2011
Rockland County, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, new to this board and to medal detecting.

I stopped in the park office at Rockland Lake, which is a state park in Rockland County 25 miles north of NYC. At one time the area around the lake housed a huge ice business, and a village of good size surrounded the lake. In addition it was a retreat area in the warmer months for people making the trip up from NYC. Nyack Beach was a popular destination. The area around the lake had many home fronts now deserted, destroyed or in a few cases home to park workers. Some are privately owned. The park also has walking trails along the Hudson (about 10 miles), all the way north to Haverstraw. Along the trails are old out houses and frames that visitors use when enjoying the Hudson a 100 years or more ago.

Anyway, the Park Officer told me under no circumstances is Medal Detecting allowed anywhere on Park property. I knew NY State was tough, but some of these trails rarely see visitors and I had heard that in some cases permits could be purchased. I always felt this would be great area to detect. He did go on to tell me that the state was looking to protect any historic artifacts or buildings in hopes of one day restoring the area.

BTW, there has always been rumors of Kidd burying treasure in the area and stories of people finding gold coins along the waters edge going back a hundred years.

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
usualy permits are for park beaches only like in Harriman state park.do not know about RL

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it's a year later but I live in and grew up in Valley Cottage. I just kills me that one can't hunt in Rockland Lake. I even know exactly where the old beach was, I swam there until the Park System took over the lake. There are properties there that don't belong to the park, one might be able to get permission to hunt them if you can find the owners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread