Tannersville/Hunter NY

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I live on Long Island I have spent a lot of time in this area from the early 1970's to the mid 1980's (before I ever owned a metal detector) . A friend owns a small vacation house in Jewett so we use to stay there when we went hunting or fishing in the Catskills . We would always eat in Hunter or go to the A&P in Tannersville etc . Years ago we were target shooting off Rt 214 (between Main St aka 23A and Rt 28) , we hiked well into the woods and came across an old abandoned house . There is a ton of NYS land off Rt 214 between Main St south to the Phonecia area . There is an old Boy Scout camp on Boy Scout Rd . If you are in Hunter to take Scribner Hollow Rd north to the end , make a right and a few blocks down is Boy Scout Rd . Make a left onto it and it's at the end of the road . There's an old drive in movie theater in Windham , I forget exactly where but it's in Windham . I could go on and on , the whole area was settled long ago (especially along County Rd 17) so there are old school houses , old church's etc . Lots and lots of NYS owned land where you won't get bothered . Good Luck and keep me posted .

Last edited:

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi don57, isnt new york state land Illegal to dig on ?

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other

If it is illegal I was not aware of it . I know here on Long Island a permit is required to MD on NYS parkland's and it cost's $40 and is valid 4/1 to 3/31 of the following year . But when I looked into upstate NY I did not see anything about it being illegal . There are some parks upstate that a permit is required and from what I have read it cost's $20 (one that I can think of off the top of my head is Harriman SP) . There is a lot of NYS land that is not considered a "park" where snowmobiling , horseback riding etc is allowed so I can't see NYS just not allowing metal detecting . I don't know the laws regarding Greene County and local municipalities land . I guess some research is in order .

OP
OP
T

Terreldactyl

Feb 26, 2013
If it is illegal I was not aware of it . I know here on Long Island a permit is required to MD on NYS parkland's and it cost's $40 and is valid 4/1 to 3/31 of the following year . But when I looked into upstate NY I did not see anything about it being illegal . There are some parks upstate that a permit is required and from what I have read it cost's $20 (one that I can think of off the top of my head is Harriman SP) . There is a lot of NYS land that is not considered a "park" where snowmobiling , horseback riding etc is allowed so I can't see NYS just not allowing metal detecting . I don't know the laws regarding Greene County and local municipalities land . I guess some research is in order .

http://nysparks.com/inside-our-agency/documents/Permits/MetalDetectorApplicationAndPermit.pdf

I found this. Not NEARLY as detailed as nyc metal detecting permits. So I don't think there will be any issues.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Only if you ask enough deskbound bureaucrats, using enough key buzzwords like "treasure", "dig", "holes", "lawsuits", and "indian bones" etc.... Then sure, you can eventually find someone to tell you "no". If they say yes, just go higher than them, to their superiors, and state archies. Keep it up long enough, and yes, you can always find someone to tell you "no".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread