hudson river shoreline m/d

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 340, Tesoro Silver uMax, Compadre, and BH Tracker IV.

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
has anyone detected or heard stories of m/d along the shoreline of the hudson.just looking for stories of found relics
and tips like any tide lines etc.
anyone read in the paper (forgot what paper and year ny times 2003???) about the survey team searching for wreck locations,found a 100ft rockwall on the bottom of the hudson north of tappan zee.the info on wreck and wall locations were kept secret.

staceysallaboutu

Jul 9, 2006
Fonda, New York
Detector(s) used
White xlt/Minelab Quattro
A man at my metal detector meeting a few mounths back was talking about when he md the shores of the hudson and found a cannon ball and a bunch of counterfiet coins. Sounds like an interesting place to me..

Stacey

OP
OP
Zincoln Miner

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

Ex: White's Spectrum XLT, Tesoro Cutlass II Umax, and that circa late 70's red handled junk from RadioShack that started it.
ty stacey
I am sure there are lots of interesting finds found and waiting to be found.think of the thames river
in england.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
solx nys said:
has anyone detected or heard stories of m/d along the shoreline of the hudson.just looking for stories of found relics
and tips like any tide lines etc.
anyone read in the paper (forgot what paper and year ny times 2003???) about the survey team searching for wreck locations,found a 100ft rockwall on the bottom of the hudson north of tappan zee.the info on wreck and wall locations were kept secret.

I'm sure you could find things. The river has been used for commerce since before Henry Hudson sailed up it looking for the Northeast passage. I have MD'd in certain places that were supposed to be parks at the turn of the century but have found bubkis. Problem is there is a lot of silt in the river and over the centurys has deposited tons of dirt along the banks. On top of this there are many places along the river where islands have been dredged out and spread out along the shore to create deep channels for large ships to get up and down from NY to the ports in Albany and Rensselear. I have heard stories about all kinds of things found in the Hudson. Coins, relics, shipwrecks, bottles, cannon balls, cannons etc. Just b/c I got skunked last time it doesn't mean i won't try again. There has to be tons of stuff in that river. The problem is finding the low spots in the silt and digging the crap up.

OP
OP
Zincoln Miner

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

ty skrimpy
I have not tried it,but I can imagine the difficulties (you mentioned) and tough acces to certain spots(need a boat).I would hit shoreline with the old telltales
of exposed bricks,pottery,thick glass etc.I am just waiting for the thaw on closer sites,
and stories will suffice for now.

p.s. do you swing with one arm and dig with the chainsaw attacthed to your wrist on
your other arm? ;)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
solx nys said:
ty skrimpy
I have not tried it,but I can imagine the difficulties (you mentioned) and tough acces to certain spots(need a boat).I would hit shoreline with the old telltales
of exposed bricks,pottery,thick glass etc.I am just waiting for the thaw on closer sites,
and stories will suffice for now.

p.s. do you swing with one arm and dig with the chainsaw attacthed to your wrist on
your other arm? ;)
[/quote

Hail to the King baby!

R

Rich

solx nys said:
100ft rockwall on the bottom of the hudson

I HAVE HERD OF THE SAME TALE!!!!,AS FOR MD the Hudson,......HEAD FOR THE RIVER SIDE!!!!!ON TROY'S SIDE!!!!!!!
theres alot about the Hudson,G.E. recently had a fast press release about a 1760 or 70s Ship aswell as its dry dock and severl other objects,and guess what happend to that site?????.....General Electric DREGED THE SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gone the way of the DoDo's.....
look for the book or online "Drums Alnog The Mohawk" thats a good starting research point.....I cant give away sites that i found yet ,cause i havent explored them but i can SHURLEY SAY GO DETECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Rich"Upstate" said:
solx nys said:
100ft rockwall on the bottom of the hudson

I HAVE HERD OF THE SAME TALE!!!!,AS FOR MD the Hudson,......HEAD FOR THE RIVER SIDE!!!!!ON TROY'S SIDE!!!!!!!
theres alot about the Hudson,G.E. recently had a fast press release about a 1760 or 70s Ship aswell as its dry dock and severl other objects,and guess what happend to that site?????.....General Electric DREGED THE SITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!gone the way of the DoDo's.....
look for the book or online "Drums Alnog The Mohawk" thats a good starting research point.....I cant give away sites that i found yet ,cause i havent explored them but i can SHURLEY SAY GO DETECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've heard things like this before but I must ask why people think that a multi billion dollar blue chip company is bothering with buried treasure and relics in the hudson river? In 2005 they made 150,242,000,000 in revenue. That's 150.2 BILLION dollars in revenue. They could buy and sell small countries. Why in the bloody hell would they want to dredge the river for treasure? They only reason they are dredging is because they were ordered to by the EPA. Plus making money on treasure is not the normal course of business for GE. Although immaterial to most of their financial statements people would start asking questions about large influxes of cash (ie millions in extraordinary revenues) which would be the only way they would do it. If, and only if, it made a difference in their bottom line...remember, millions versus hundreds of billions. They don't care.
http://www.ge.com/files/usa/company/investor/secreport/pdfs/ge_10Ka_2005.pdf
follow this link and look at page 67. It's GEs Earnings Statement for 03, 04, and 05. Whatever they will dredge out of the river, no matter how old...cannons, ships, cannon balls, possible treasure caches...it's immaterial to their earnings. You could fill the entire hudson with spanish dabloons, and revolutionary war ships and their value would pale in comparison to the amount of money that passes through their company in 10 years. They could give a rats @$$ about relics and treasure in the Hudson.

R

Rich

Skrimpy said:
Rich"Upstate" said:
They could give a rats @$$ about relics and treasure in the Hudson.

Quite on the bean old man!...GE in Schenectady "I think thats where",is built over the eerie canal a old Hamlet and one of the oldest buildings in the state "Van Guylising home"..........GE = toxic waste,which was dumped and buired everywhere!!!barrels somtimes wash on the river front and who knows what was in it,lid off but the Haz material sticker was still attached!!yellow barrel!===radioactive!!!!!!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Rich"Upstate" said:
[yellow barrel!===radioactive!!!!!!

Next time I see a yellow barrel on the riverside I will be sure to let Capital News Nine know about it first so they can get some nice shots of the GE logo on the barrel before hazmat gets there to clean up the mess and hide it.

OP
OP
Zincoln Miner

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

pollution sucks >:(

Bassfish

Jul 12, 2006
Lots of old ice houses along the eastern shore of the Hudson as well. From Castleton down to Hudson.

OP
OP
Zincoln Miner

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

t/y bassfish but I am sure they have melted by now.

;D

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
Bassfish said:
Lots of old ice houses along the eastern shore of the Hudson as well. From Castleton down to Hudson.
We tried one of these but there was soooo, soooo much trash that we found nothing of value but bubkis.

OP
OP
Zincoln Miner

Zincoln Miner

Nov 14, 2003
New York State
Detector(s) used

what is the price per lb or ton for bubkis?

one of those huge iron ice hand saws would make a nice relicy showpiece.if you
find one while diving maybe the homeless guy they brought up from the city to work the ice
may lay next to it :o .

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
solx nys said:
what is the price per lb or ton for bubkis?

one of those huge iron ice hand saws would make a nice relicy showpiece.if you
find one while diving maybe the homeless guy they brought up from the city to work the ice
may lay next to it :o .

Look at some old beers maps. There are some real interesting places along the Hudson all the way from the dam at Green Island to NYC. Some really, really interesting spots you could put the detector to...there was all sorts of interesting activity up and down the river since the earliest colonial days until now. The ice houses interested me until I found all those pounds of bubkis at the one ice house site. Almost every stream coming into the river had grist and paper mills where a TON of commerce took place during the 1700s and 1800s. These sites are gold mines for early buttons and coins. The down sides are no dumps as everything went into the streams and there is tons of trash in the ground making good targets difficult to ID. Not quite colonial for most but some are.

outraged

Apr 14, 2007
East Greenbush NY
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/Troy Shadow X2/Ace 250
I have a spot on the hudson where there was a old "negro" dance hall. We have found so many coins here that it is dubbed "coin hill". I can say that every coin found will be older than 1899. If anyone wants to join me let me know. It is about 20 minutes from Albany. This area is HUGE. I personally did not find any however 8 gold coins of various denominations have been recovered.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
outraged said:
I have a spot on the hudson where there was a old "negro" dance hall. We have found so many coins here that it is dubbed "coin hill". I can say that every coin found will be older than 1899. If anyone wants to join me let me know. It is about 20 minutes from Albany. This area is HUGE. I personally did not find any however 8 gold coins of various denominations have been recovered.

Of course!

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
If you can get a boat and hit the shore line around bear mountain just below west point mil academ. i'll bet you'll find some really good stuff. right on the side of the mountain there is a scenic overlook that most west pointers will remember as lovers leap and tradition was to toss coins over for good luck. I don't know how long that tradition has been around, but if you know any thing about west point you'll know they are big on traditions and have many that date back to the acadamies earliest years.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
MD Dog said:
If you can get a boat and hit the shore line around bear mountain just below west point mil academ. i'll bet you'll find some really good stuff. right on the side of the mountain there is a scenic overlook that most west pointers will remember as lovers leap and tradition was to toss coins over for good luck. I don't know how long that tradition has been around, but if you know any thing about west point you'll know they are big on traditions and have many that date back to the acadamies earliest years.

Sounds good to me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread