i need find place to metal detecting

Oct 19, 2013
hilton ny
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to metal detecting and I need help finding places to metal detect in the small town of Hilton ny. I have look at old maps that date back to 1900s, but most of the places are privately owned. I am looking for ammo dumps, cashes, places that are older then the 1900s. what should I do and what I should look for in the 1965 here was a fire that destroyed most of the city and I think there was 2 or 3 other fires earlier then that. I want to know where to look for revolutionary war spots, I know there are some down in southern ny, but I can find any place that are closer to me. I am also looking for cellar holes in Rochester ny. I found one near finger lakes but that to far for me. If you can give me any tips and places to look in books and documents. thanks

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Learn your detector first. It takes some time. Relic hunting is like digging trash. It gets aggravating. Stick to what's around you first. Look up old maps for your area. Try your library too. Most info is free most maps are not. If your town has a historic society, that's a good place to start.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Andrew.Vallone.9,

Welcome!

I agree with “Rick67” learn your detector first! When relic hunting (my favorite) I run my machine wide open (want to hear what is under the coil). The only way to discern good signals from bad is to really understand the machine, use tones and finally dig everything. You will quickly learn what is good for that particular site. Even with all that said, you never really know unless you dig the target. Some of the worst sounding – iffy signals have been my best recovered finds.

Happy Hunting!

Regards,

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Learn how to use your libraries and museums. The info is out there, but nobody is going to give up their spots. You have to find them yourself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread