New York State Park $40 Permit Application

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Ha ha ha ha.... #6. Seriously?

I take it to mean ALL state parks in New York.

If anybody asks, show them a state issued permit and they should walk away with a confused look on their face.

I'd like to see that permit in Florida. That would get me into the State Parks.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha ha ha ha.... #6. Seriously?

I take it to mean ALL state parks in New York.

If anybody asks, show them a state issued permit and they should walk away with a confused look on their face.

I'd like to see that permit in Florida. That would get me into the State Parks.

Some Florida State Parks do issue permits...
At these particular parks you must go see the head ranger and fill out the form...
and after a short lecture on the parks do's and don'ts as well as acknowledgement of permitted areas open for detection within the park...
You will receive a permit which you must carry on you.
Which will and can be permanently revoked for breach of permit agreement / policy.

PS... they are free.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is outrages that states including New York state charge for permits on lands purchased by tax payers and upkeep. Complain my friends, to the governor.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Read my PS I just added to my post.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is outrages that states including New York state charge for permits on lands purchased by tax payers and upkeep. Complain my friends, to the governor.

Yeah, it is a shame. So is the $10.00 parking fee every time you go, or the $65.00 annual parking pass. Then, for me, it's a 1-hour, 15-min. ride to Jones Beach State Park, over the Whitestone Bridge ($9.00 one way). So we are talking approximately 117-miles round trip (5-gallons of gas), 2.5-hours on the road, $18.00 in tolls, the parking and permit costs... Yep, that is a pretty big nut to crack for 5-6 hours of metal detecting.

I guess if we weren't finding the good stuff out there every year and making our money back, we probably wouldn't do it. These beaches have drawn MILLIONS of people since the 1900s - Millions! Every summer they add another 1.3 million on average. Got to do what you got to do. :skullflag:

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
About 7 years ago the permit for State parks on Long Island was $5 , then it went up to $10 , then $20 and about 4 years ago it went up to the current price of $40. I believe the $40 is for the NYS parks on Long Island only. Last year I know upstate parks were cheaper. Glimmerglass park in Otsego County as well as a bunch of others a permit was $10 and there were some parks that didn't charge a fee. The $40 cost on Long Island is a ripoff. With all the taxes we pay here , (average property tax is well over $10,000 a year) the fee should be $5 or $10. It's not like there is a ton of paperwork that get entered into a computer. We fill out a small form , get a paper permit and a small pamphlet of the parks. What could that possibly cost them , $3 ? After you buy the permit you have to pay a $10 park entrance fee , another ripoff. The only reason they charge so much on Long Island is because they know the residents earn more in salary then the rest of the state does and they can take advantage of that. No other NYS parks in the rest of the state cost this much. All Long Islanders should complain to the NYS office of parks and recreation and the governors office. Oh and one other thing , there used to only be a parking fee at the beaches from late April until mid September. Now I hear there is a parking fee all year at Jones Beach and Robert Moses Beach.

stewball1

Mar 25, 2005
Huntington, LI, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX & Minelab SE Pro
Well Don, complaining won't do anything. I tried and got the NYS park ranger smiles. If the fee isn't enough for state parks, Suffolk County charges $40 for a metal detecting permit at Smith's Point. Most of the county parks are way east for me. And I needed a Green Key Card to get in free on weekends. During the week, parking is free for old farts like me. Don't know if that changed yet. At least I have my Empire State sticker and don't have to pay the $10, but I do have to go enough that the fee for that pays. Aren't we lucky? Lol. Some states won't even let you detect in their parks.

Don57

Feb 7, 2009
Lindenhurst NY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 6T / Prizm 9" Spider Coil / Prizm Mini DD Coil / Garretts Pro Pointer / Lesche trowel
Primary Interest:
Other
There are a few areas up near Huntington I'd like to hunt. The old Kings Park Psych Hospital. There is a large wooded area off Sweet Hollow Rd , across from a horse riding place. From my research I see it is Suffolk County land. You ever hunt any of these Stewball ?

stewball1

Mar 25, 2005
Huntington, LI, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX & Minelab SE Pro
Not yet. I know a few mders who hunted Kings Park Psych and didn't find much. Some had no problem and some got kicked out by the police. Luck of the draw. Haven't looked at Sweet Hollow yet. I'm looking for a new spot now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread