Syracuse Historic Building Demolished....Go Dig

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
demolition of the historic Conrad Loos building at 836 Butternut St. that has been vacant since a fire in 1996.

The building was an eyesore in the community and many residents wanted it gone.

Over the years, residents, the city and preservationists fought over the building designed by Architect Archimedes Russell.

When the owner Tino Marcoccia wanted to tear the building down in 2000, the Central New York Preservation Association went to court to try to save it.

The association lost its appeal.

Aaron said there was nostalgia and optimism this morning as a small crowd of residents and city officials watched an excavator tear down the building.

Here's what Aaron reported:

Demolition work on the century-old Kress Drugs building at the intersection of Butternut and Park streets drew a small crowd of long-time neighborhood residents who were nostalgic about the past and optimistic about the corner's future.

The building was previously damaged by fire and had been sitting idle for nearly a decade, neighbors said. A giant excavator knocked the crumbling walls to the ground. Syracuse Mayor Matt Driscoll said recyclable materials and rubbish will be removed from the site over the next several days.

Joe Daloia who calls himself "the mayor of the north side," recalled getting ice cream sodas and penny candy at the store. He championed the petition drive to have the eyesore torn down after it fell into disrepair, obtaining more than 100 signatures from neighbors.

"I'd like to see some trees planted there, some grass, too. We don't have to have another building there," Daloia said.
http://blog.syracuse.com/metrovoices/

Attachments

• conrad loos.jpg
    conrad loos.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 1,991

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
I use to live 3 doors up from this building

you wanna talk about crack alley,although tempting I cant see myself going there again unless they demolish the whole city block..lol

Disciple

Feb 23, 2006
West Monroe, NY USA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
UnEarthed72 said:

you wanna talk about crack alley,although tempting I cant see myself going there again unless they demolish the whole city block..lol

rofl ... you took the words right out of my mouth ...
bout time they took it down though .. def. an eye sore

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Disciple said:
UnEarthed72 said:

rofl ... you took the words right out of my mouth ...
bout time they took it down though .. def. an eye sore

Ahhh so your familiar with Butternut st. huh lol

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Montana Jim said:
Ha! I'm glad you two meet each other... I miss Central NY terribly... see ya'.

It has its days Montana,just thankful im not living in the city any more.And i havnt met Disciple yet,but it sure would be nice to hunt with another Tnet member.Now lets hope she checks her mail on here and i also sent her a messege via yahoo just to be on the safe side. ;D

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Disciple said:
:) yay ... was nice to talk with you Shawn. Looking forward to hunting together.

Ditto, they say 2 heads are better than one this must mean 2 detectors will = some happy dancing ;D

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Oh dear oh dear, what a small world. First it's Adrien Brody buys Stone Barn Castle and then I recognize something familiar about this story.

Second, or third as it may be, the no way re:Butternut street. ROFL

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Tricia said:
Oh dear oh dear, what a small world. First it's Adrien Brody buys Stone Barn Castle and then I recognize something familiar about this story.

Second, or third as it may be, the no way re:Butternut street. ROFL

lol lets just say Butternut st. is not the most savory part of Syracuse NY,neither are the 15-20 blocks surrounding it in every direction....can we say STICK EM' UP YO

L

LandStar

Oh come on now...It is just a bunch of Drunks and Crack Heads and Hoodie wearing spooks...LOL...I would not step near the neiborhood without being promised large sums of cash...LOL...I am from the West End of (SorryExcuse) Syracuse near Solvay. Would love to tag up with some locals around here for a group hunt...Also been dying to get 2 or 3 together to hunt an old British Ammo Dump site near 3 Rivers...If any of ya are interested, email me, or pm me on Yahoo or AIM

Yahoo ID: r_lemp
AIM ID: lempr

email: [email protected]

Happy Hunting

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
LandStar said:
Oh come on now...It is just a bunch of Drunks and Crack Heads and Hoodie wearing spooks...LOL...I would not step near the neiborhood without being promised large sums of cash...LOL...I am from the West End of (SorryExcuse) Syracuse near Solvay. Would love to tag up with some locals around here for a group hunt...Also been dying to get 2 or 3 together to hunt an old British Ammo Dump site near 3 Rivers...If any of ya are interested, email me, or pm me on Yahoo or AIM

Yahoo ID: r_lemp
AIM ID: lempr

email: [email protected]

Happy Hunting

Hey landstar i know where you are..i grew up on west street and graduated from solvay high school in 91..
you ever go to that old bombed out munissions site in (camillus i think)or even tried to detect the state fair parking lots..imagine the clad you would fine there..
I like the idea of 4 of us hunting the 3 rivers site(pretty historic spot around that area)i know 2 more members here ive hunted with

L

LandStar

Not Familliar with the Cammillus site...When was this used??? WW2, or earlier? I have hunted parts of the Fair, but the ground contains a LOT of crush rock...hard digging...Here are some of my better finds from the area...Nothing overly spectacular...Yes that one Penny is a War Time Steel cent. We will have to try to get together all of us some time...email me, or contact me on:

yahoo: r_lemp

AIM: Lempr

LastScan.jpg

P.S. Have also been itching to hunt along the Erie Canal trails.

jrl7575

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Rogers, AR
Detector(s) used
El Cheapo 2000
I grew up 4 blocks from Burnet Park, 1 block from the upside down traffic light. I used to deliver pizzas in that neighborhood where the building came down. It was definitely a bad hood. Small world. Has anyone tried this area yet?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.075346,-76.268163&spn=0.005752,0.014291&t=h&z=16&om=0

It is the old airport on Airport Rd in Warners. My mom lives near there and I have driven by many times. I dont know if anybody uses it, but last time I saw in July, the fence was wide open for all to walk in. Wo knws what you will find there.

Jay

L

LandStar

I just spied this site of the old airport on Google Earth about a month ago...I am also now familiar with the Split Rock Quarry site in Cammilus...The Quarry is frequented by some pretty punk butt kids though...I would definitely be armed if I intended to go into the tunnels...us Syracuse area hunters should get together once the weather breaks and go on a hunt to one of these sites listed here...

I have added you all to my buddy list...I hope yous don't mind.

HH,

LandStar

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
jrl7575 said:
I grew up 4 blocks from Burnet Park, 1 block from the upside down traffic light. I used to deliver pizzas in that neighborhood where the building came down. It was definitely a bad hood. Small world. Has anyone tried this area yet?

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=43.075346,-76.268163&spn=0.005752,0.014291&t=h&z=16&om=0

It is the old airport on Airport Rd in Warners. My mom lives near there and I have driven by many times. I dont know if anybody uses it, but last time I saw in July, the fence was wide open for all to walk in. Wo knws what you will find there.

Jay

so your from tipp hill huh?

LandStar said:
I just spied this site of the old airport on Google Earth about a month ago...I am also now familiar with the Split Rock Quarry site in Cammilus...The Quarry is frequented by some pretty punk butt kids though...I would definitely be armed if I intended to go into the tunnels...us Syracuse area hunters should get together once the weather breaks and go on a hunt to one of these sites listed here...

I have added you all to my buddy list...I hope yous don't mind.

HH,

LandStar

Split rock WOW MEMORIES(an old munitions factory i think) while i was in high school we use to party there every now n then,kind of a freaky place to be honest.

Have you ever heard of 13 curves,i think that's in Warner's..we use to go there with shotguns and blast away at a bunch of old cars somewere off the road,13 curves is also known for a ghost story(the lady in white)....the story goes somewhat like this....

a newly married couple decided to take a drive through 13 curves after their wedding night,while cruising in and out of the turns the husband lost control of the vehicle and plunged over the side into one of the ravines and lost both of their lives.......too this day there are reports of people seeing a blurry figure dressed in a white wedding dress running from one side of the road to the other looking for her husband,as they drive up on the figure it vanishes.

I myself have been there many times at night,but have not seen anything
HH
Shawn

L

LandStar

I have probably been through 13 curves...Is it not part of Rt. 173??? I have not been to the Quarry yet, but plan to get there this spring...I think I will be carrying some kind of weapon if I go there...also a bright flashlite (lantern)...

HH,

jrl7575

Greenie
Feb 6, 2008
Rogers, AR
Detector(s) used
El Cheapo 2000
Yep, Tipp Hill here. I lived there from 83-00. Went to Fowler :( There are a few Erie Canal sites by Green Lakes that would probably be promising. The worn paths on the side are clearly visible still. Also, if you look right, you can tell some of the houses that were built next to the canal are from the 1800's and probably good sites to look.

Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions