diving in NY ??

JLatham

Greenie
Nov 30, 2008
Central New York
The Dive shops in the area are Rome "Delta Divers", and Aquatic World in Syracuse, they are both very good shops and in fact have taken many classes from both (Now MSDT with Aquatic World), also Oneida Lake is always cold there are several spots that do reach the depth of >50' but are in the main channel of the lake around the Brewerton Area, there is also some "lost treasure" that even the current Sheriff of Onondaga Co. has spent time looking for. Also in the Sylvan beech there was a ammo barge that cought fire and sunk off shore with lots of relics that were left behind.

John
P.S I live in the Morrisville area and Dive lots of the local waters, have a Tiger Shark (have no idea on how to use the damn thing, bought from a dealer who was going to show me but ended up ill and closed his shop) Would love to learn more about it, also always looking for dive partners

sterndrive

Jan 30, 2009
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
i dive oneida lake a lot and have found quite a few wrecks here.one of them,a steam powered tug boat, will be in the syracuse papers this spring.i have never heard of any ammo barge that sank.when did this happen? also as i have been told n.y. passed a law a few years back that states anything on the bottom of any body of water in n.y. state that has been there over 50 years belongs to the state of n.y. i know someone who tested that law and spent $40,000 to find out he was wrong,chris

JLatham

Greenie
Nov 30, 2008
Central New York
sterndrive said:
i dive oneida lake a lot and have found quite a few wrecks here.one of them,a steam powered tug boat, will be in the syracuse papers this spring.i have never heard of any ammo barge that sank.when did this happen? also as i have been told n.y. passed a law a few years back that states anything on the bottom of any body of water in n.y. state that has been there over 50 years belongs to the state of n.y. i know someone who tested that law and spent $40,000 to find out he was wrong,chris

The ammo barge that went up in flames was in the Sylvan beach area. Also there is tons of stuff on the bottom of the lake, tons of history waiting to be recoverd. If you ever want t dive buddy let me know more than glad to hit the bottom with you, have toys will travel!
John

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
If you have time try diving Lake Ontario, near Oswego...when I was a kid spent a few happy summers working at the fort and learning everything I could...I don't know if they have recovered them, but there used to be cannon in the Oswego River mouth where it dumps into the lake...back in the mid-sixties a mini sub went down and scoped them ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread