Hudson valley area

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I am fortunate to live close to the tristate area where NY,NJ,Pa connect so one may say I have the best of all 3 worlds LOL , I am a huge history Buff , JEFF is great but ... most of the areas he suggests are strictly off limits ghost towns " upper deleware " etc etc . but i was always curious about the hudson river banks especially close to newburgh " who knows what one will dig up there ;-) ", Poughkeepsie , sleepy hollow and Bear mountain etc etc , i have applied for NYC parks , being born and raised in Queens and still have family , friends that i visit for a few days, It would be nice if Forest park is on the list of spots I can hunt . But any info on Catslkill State park etc etc , I really am looking for open area with lots of woods , and few restrictions , sort of where i can go for a nice long hike and not worry about , blah blah blah , know what I mean .
any info on NYC, the island , Hudson Valley Upstate etc etc would be great.

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250

I also am in the Hudson Valley area and I wrote to the Palisades Park Commission and even called them and they said that metal detecting is limited to certain beaches in Harriman State Park. They are in charge of quite a few parks in the area like Harriman, Bear Mountain and Highland Lakes State Park which is between Middletown and Montgomery.
There are some parks that are not run by the commission that are run by the county and towns. I guess you could try them. I assume it is a park where you can take a nice stroll and metal detect. If you want to just hike and view some cellar holes and ruins from the 1800's, then give Highland lakes state park a try. The trails are for hikers and horseback riding and they do not allow any vehicles there at all.

Let me know where you are. Maybe we can get together for a hunt.

Funkman

OP
OP

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Thanx for the info , I live in the shohola area of PA , will keep you updated on a hunt im in the process of writing and seeking permision in a wide range of areas from NYC . long island , North NJ , PA, upstate, it would be nice to have hunting buddies , who knows what the heck lurkes in the woods , ive heard everything from Pumas , half breed dogs with coyotes . I am an avid outdoorsman with a touch of city slicker , and I know of a few places where I would like to hunt off the beaten trail , I know of quiet a few places that require a good long hike , May take up mountain bike riding again as it is a great way to cover allot of distance .

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
no dogs or coyotes at my site....only deer, turkeys, hunters and ATV riders. Hope you get permission to some nice sites..a lot of hidden history in our areas!

Funkman

ArmyWife628

Tenderfoot
Apr 5, 2007
Fort Drum NY
Hi I am in upstate NY. I spend half my time in ft drum NY and half back home in Westerlo, NY, a small town in the foothills of the catskill mountains...I dont know much about where to hunt in the area so if anyone can let me know some ideas I would REALLY appreciate it! Thanks

~Angela

OP
OP

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
I would buy the United States Treasure Atlas " volume 7 which includes NY" for a few bucks , this will give you a very good idea where Ghost towns once existed " even though most have been modernly been built upon" , buried treasure tales ... etc etc , also use Google earth to scout out potential locations . Also i would visit http://metaldetectingworld.com/ Sergei is from Upsate NY , I would click on the right hand side under " My Stories" "detecting in the USA " , and follow his anecdotes , Tips , with photos detecting Upstate NY .

dutchtoga

Jun 28, 2012
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2se
Garret ATpro
Garret ATgold
Xp Deus
Nox 800
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been getting some really nice find in your home town of Westerlow the past few years. I know this thread is old but It sent me a text. HH Dutch

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions