Moses Follensby

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
Alright, this is an old thread I thought of recycling! Many of you have probably heard of the Follensby Cache. I was thinking we could all post our research here. I'm posting this because just the other day I was looking at the area on google earth out of curiosity. I think I found some sort of a structure. I'd love to post the picture but I don't know how. I think it would be interesting to find out what everyone knows! ;D ;D

PS: If anyone can post how to post pictures I'd gladly show my screen shots!

littlebird13

Feb 21, 2006
UPSTATE N.Y.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Re: I'm New! Any Tips? + Follensby's Fourtune!

DAS7NY,

I live about 40 min fron Tupper Lake. Thought about the buried stuff acouple times. If you make it up this way let me know maybe we'll go on a treasure hunt.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS

get in contact with a local MD club and see what they are using and how well they do with them

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008

Also whats the deal with state permits here? If you get a permit does that mean you can dig up what you find?

BF750

Aug 2, 2007
NEPA, PA

DAS7NY,

I am from LI also, and have read about Follensby. I believe I know where his cabin was located, to start a search and work out from there. If your interested in road trip let me know. I use a pulse induction detector which goes deep, better than 2 boxes.

BF750

Xraylady

Tenderfoot
Jun 25, 2008

Hi! I'm on Long Island too. I am kind of a noob, messing aroind on/ off for years. I would be interested in a "road trip" too

BF750

Aug 2, 2007
NEPA, PA

Xraylady,

Just so you know, it is a six hour ride up there and another 6 back. When I do road trips like this I usually leave Friday after work and get a cheap room when I get there. Being that your screen name is a lady, I recommend reserving a couple of rooms prior to leaving, plus getting together for a couple of local hunts prior to leaving, if your serious.

Anybody else wishing to go?

BF750

loser1

Tenderfoot
May 20, 2007

I went looking for the Follensby treasure a while ago. The closest I could get by car was about two miles away and it is on private property. A very large area to search unless you have new reliable information. It is well known and documented that Moses Follensby disappeared in 1823 but I don't know of any mention of treasure until 1978 in a treasure hunting magazine. My opinion: If it ever did exist maybe it was stolen from him in 1823 which could also explain his disappearance.

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008

loser1 said:
I went looking for the Follensby treasure a while ago. The closest I could get by car was about two miles away and it is on private property. A very large area to search unless you have new reliable information. It is well known and documented that Moses Follensby disappeared in 1823 but I don't know of any mention of treasure until 1978 in a treasure hunting magazine. My opinion: If it ever did exist maybe it was stolen from him in 1823 which could also explain his disappearance.

I remember reading that he was found dying by 2 men and he told them he had a treasure. Then it's said the 2 men never found his cabin. Today I was bored and went on google earth and found some interesting pictures. But I don't know how to post them here.

mramsoil

Mar 1, 2009
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i w/ Sunray DX1, D2, 6x9, & Detech 13" coils, BH300, Surfmaster Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would recommend that you go to Treasures Unlimited for your metal detector and for tips. Fred, in Patchogue, and Mike, in Merrick, are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

numnydar

May 5, 2006
Utica,NY
I have responded to a post about this treasure before and I know presently the land where it is can now be considered state land due to aquisition of the land due to imminant domaine I believe
Not sure but I do know its part of the state forest up there now

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
If thats in the adorondacks(spelled wrong im sure),isnt that all national park??its the only park in the country people have private residence in i believe.I didnt think u could metal detect in those areas.As a kid we spent alot of time in the Blue mnt /lake area.Flew in by float plane and hiked a few times.Found an old cabin 50 miles from any rds.My dad read abook on the place(guys name was french lou,he was a trapper).Anyways im intrested on the detecting laws up there ,Tons of old history in those areas.Id love to go back and detect.There are so many old vacation areas up there.

OP
OP
DAS7NY

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
The Adorondack park is a national park but not like yellow stone and such. It's just a ton of forrest and towns. Most people don't even consider it a park. All unowned land is state property, but the pond was just recently sold or bought. I'm not sure. But you see, state troopers aren't found patrolling the woods...

ray in ny

Jan 21, 2006
southern tier ny
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S CLASSIC III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a state park, not a national park. I seem to remember that last year the Nature Conservancy or a similar group purchased the Follensby Pond property. How that affects the search for Follensby's treasure, I'm not sure. I don't know if his cabin was in the boundaries of the property that was purchased.

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
Its a state park???Its the biggest park in the country,bigger than 3 yellowstones.I dont think its state,but i maybe wrong.

moosedsl

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2009
upstate ny
Yes, it is a state park. Adirondack state park, I live right in the middle of it. Many places to detect. However, if you do go onto state land then you do have to have a permit, and also there are guys called ENCON, who travel the woods more than you would think. It is an amazing place and I love it here. There are alot that people don't know about it. I would love to find more people around my area to go detecting with. I am new at it, but love it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread