Interesting Cave

imbones

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2005
I was in the Adirondacks this weekend, doing some treasure hunting with some friends and family. We searched some caves we found, but only found dead ends. One cave caught our interest though. It had a large pile of rubble in the entrance. We moved a good amount of the rubble until we hit a point where it was too much. Where we stopped though, there was a large arrow shaped rock pointing down. At the apex of the point was a single piece of smooth sandstone that out of all the rubble we moved, was the only piece of that in the whole area. Under the sandstone was a lot of dirt that was quite loose. We dug down as much as we could, but it was hard as the entrance was tight. We didn't find anything, but thought it was very strange that the arrow pointed to one unique rock out of all the other rubble, and that the rock was right above loose dirt. Are we just chasing our tails there or does it have potential? The arrow rock was very, very large and one person alone couldn't have put it there. The cave entrance had another arrow shaped rock pointing right to it as well. I'll have pictures once my brother sends them to me. There were also a lot of curious "natural" marks around the cave as well as some precarious looking slabs and debris at the top of it. 3 slabs right above the entrance with a good amount of loose debris, then one large slab above that. Any advice would be appreciated as we want to go back next year and check more into the cave and search for more caves around the mountain. Thanks all!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BE CAREFUL!!!!!!
If that cave has traps set, you may be in over your head.
Although, I'd suggest taking a good metal detector in there and searching the floors and such.
If you're able to get a hold of a two-box depth detector, that would allow you to detect deeper.
Anyway, please be careful searching caves like that. But what you said seems abnormal and it might have promise...
Oh yeah, don't go telling people about the exact location, just in case...

Bran <><

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Please post good pictures of the entrance and the area around it.
If it is trapped there will be signs indicating so.
Do not attempt to go farther than you have already as a trap may include the unopened entrance.

When you take the pictures be sure to get as good and as clean a picture as possible.
If you need to be sure take several. take pictures from every angle available and don't skimp on pictures
They can always be deleted.

Thom

OP
OP
I

imbones

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2005
godisnum1 said:
BE CAREFUL!!!!!!
If that cave has traps set, you may be in over your head.
Although, I'd suggest taking a good metal detector in there and searching the floors and such.
If you're able to get a hold of a two-box depth detector, that would allow you to detect deeper.
Anyway, please be careful searching caves like that. But what you said seems abnormal and it might have promise...
Oh yeah, don't go telling people about the exact location, just in case...

Bran <><

Oh I won't be saying the location til I know for sure :thumbsup: I'm emailing my brother now for those pics. I'll post em ASAP.
I have a metal detector, but it's not very good, any brand/model I can look at for a starting point to look for a new one? Thanks!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Be careful which two box you use if you intend on going inside with it.
Most detectors tend to get confused when in a tunnel.

The problem is traced back to the fact that most detectors detect up as well as down.
The ceiling of a tunnel will confuse a regular detector.

Just a heads up.
But don't worry about that right now, first figure out if the darn thing is safe to enter.
then worry about a detector.

Thom

Hounddog

Mar 23, 2005
I think the bears and black flies would be more of a problem than traps in the Adirondacks. The bears hibernate in the caves over the winter months plan your trip back after it warms up. If there is debris on slabs above and at the entrance most likely just came off the cliff above. I would still keep digging you never know. As far as traps in that area I would think there naturally made more so than man made either way stay safe and get the pics up soon!

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe his brother went back to take more pictures and struck it rich ;D, and felt further photo's were unnecessary....... :icon_jokercolor: Just kidding..........Not GE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread