Depth meter

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want to see if you other Fors CoRe owners are having any issues with the depth read out. First I understand that depth of targets is only an estimate by the machine with size of the target directly affecting the outcome.

I really don't have a problem with the numbers being cm instead of inches.

The problem I am having is that on a 8" dime I get a 38cm reading which equals 14-15 inches almost double the actual depth which I feel is unaceptable.
7" dime 35-36cm
5"dime 30-32
And yes those are the shallow readings which is directly under the pinpoint of the coil.

So how accurate is your machine?
Is there a problem with mine or is it normal to be so far off.

TL

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a Fors but I do have to ask : What coil are you using and how mineralized is the ground. Both of these items can affect depth readings aside from target size.

Considering the drop off in the readings between 8 to 5 inches it appears your machine is operating properly. Air tests don't say much for actual operation however if you think there is a calibration issue it would be useful in this instance to check your readings without soil conditions affecting the result. My thoughts.

OP
OP
T

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't own a Fors but I do have to ask : What coil are you using and how mineralized is the ground. Both of these items can affect depth readings aside from target size.

Considering the drop off in the readings between 8 to 5 inches it appears your machine is operating properly. Air tests don't say much for actual operation however if you think there is a calibration issue it would be useful in this instance to check your readings without soil conditions affecting the result. My thoughts.

I have mild soil for the most part ground balancing at 46-47 two feet from the test target.

I have three other machines. Ctx,X Terra 705 and a MXT that give accurate reading on the same target so I really don't feel that the soil is an issue. Showing the depth as almost double is out of line I would think.
Thanks for you reply

I sent a pm to the Nokta rep.that visits this sight about this but he has not responded.

Last edited:

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
I have not paid close attention to my depth meter,but I believe it works properly.The minelabs I can say from exp are super acurate on depth readings.I believe whites is also.Now my Deus isnt very acurate at all on depth meter.I will check mine next time im out.I know the audio really gives me an idea on the size and depth most targets.If you have a question please contact Dilek at Nokta,she will answer you right away.She handles these issues.So the machine is detecting fine?But you feel the depth meter might be off.I will check and get back to you. Here is Dilek's Email [email protected] Jim T

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there a setting on it to to switch it from reading cm to reading inches ?

Nokta Detectors

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jun 2, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Detector(s) used
NOKTA AND MAKRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Want to see if you other Fors CoRe owners are having any issues with the depth read out. First I understand that depth of targets is only an estimate by the machine with size of the target directly affecting the outcome.

I really don't have a problem with the numbers being cm instead of inches.

The problem I am having is that on a 8" dime I get a 38cm reading which equals 14-15 inches almost double the actual depth which I feel is unaceptable.
7" dime 35-36cm
5"dime 30-32
And yes those are the shallow readings which is directly under the pinpoint of the coil.

So how accurate is your machine?
Is there a problem with mine or is it normal to be so far off.

TL

Hello...Approximate depth is provided based on the assumption that the target is a typical modern coin and the coin used in calibration and testing is 1€ (Euro) size - approximately 1'' in diamater. The real depth will vary based on target size. The device will give a greater depth reading for smaller targets and for larger targets, the depth reading will be smaller than they really are. In fact, pinpointing is used for target location and not depth indication. Therefore, we suggest that you use the depth reading for judging the proximity of the target.

OP
OP
T

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello...Approximate depth is provided based on the assumption that the target is a typical modern coin and the coin used in calibration and testing is 1€ (Euro) size - approximately 1'' in diamater. The real depth will vary based on target size. The device will give a greater depth reading for smaller targets and for larger targets, the depth reading will be smaller than they really are. In fact, pinpointing is used for target location and not depth indication. Therefore, we suggest that you use the depth reading for judging the proximity of the target.

Well seeing as our dime is a good bit smaller than your Euro that explains the deeper reading. No problem just wanted to make sure the machine was working properly. I already have the numbers worked out and memorized so I am ready to go if it ever quits raining and dries up a bit. Tried to hunt a little yesterday when the rain slacked up a bit but the holes kept filling up with water.

The CoRe has a lot going for it. It has bumped my Xterra 705 from the back seat in my truck and will be the detector that is always ready. It cant bump my CTX for dead serious silver hunting but for the rest of the time it will be hard to beat.
TL

NiagracountyNY

May 17, 2009
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Nokta- Fors core / Makro--CF77 / Minelab CTX 3030 / XP deus /Velox 1 / RS PinPointer /Makro Waterproof PinPointer
You will be surprised Tex.My Ctx stays at home Now.The fors core and deus ride with me 99% of the time.The ctx is great for parks and cherry picking coins,I hunt alot of fields and thats where she struggles.Its hard parking a 2500 unit for a unit thats less than half the cost....but thats what happened here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread