FORS CoRe deal breaker

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Nokta FORS CoRe caught my interest a few months ago. This machine seems to be a excellent all around unit, I especially like the cog mode for wet sand. I was all ready to pull the trigger on the pro pack from kellyco when further research indicated that the FORS CoRe only reads depth in centimeters only, without an option to change between cm and in, as you can with the Makro racer. If I'm going to lay out $850.00 bucks for a detector I want that option, in any case if Nokta is going to sell their products here in the United States they should be in inches or have the ability to switch from metric to inches. I hope Nokta upgrades the FORS CoRe with this option. I like the FORS CoRe better then the Makro racer. I know the racer has this option but I like the FORS CoRe much better so buying the Makro would just be a compromise, I guess I just want what I want. So as of now I'll just keep what I got.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nokta FORS CoRe caught my interest a few months ago. This machine seems to be a excellent all around unit, I especially like the cog mode for wet sand. I was all ready to pull the trigger on the pro pack from kellyco when further research indicated that the FORS CoRe only reads depth in centimeters only, without an option to change between cm and in, as you can with the Makro racer. If I'm going to lay out $850.00 bucks for a detector I want that option, in any case if Nokta is going to sell their products here in the United States they should be in inches or have the ability to switch from metric to inches. I hope Nokta upgrades the FORS CoRe with this option. I like the FORS CoRe better then the Makro racer. I know the racer has this option but I like the FORS CoRe much better so buying the Makro would just be a compromise, I guess I just want what I want. So as of now I'll just keep what I got.

They may be able to do software upgrade.. I like the Fors core, and considering buying one. I don't worry about it, 10cm =3 15/16 inches. 20Cm = 7 7/8 inches... Figure every 10 cm is 4 inches, after all your digging, not building furniture.. Being off 1/16 to 1/4 inch makes no difference. It is like measuring a 2x4 with a tape measure when you plan to be cutting it with an ax....

Last edited:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They may be able to do software upgrade.. I like the Fors core, and considering buying one. I don't worry about it, 10cm =3 15/16 inches. 20Cm = 7 7/8 inches... Figure every 10 cm is 4 inches, after all your digging, not building furniture.. Being off 1/16 to 1/4 inch makes no difference. It is like measuring a 2x4 with a tape measure when you plan to be cutting it with an ax....

Well said, Treasure Hunter.

Random trivia...of the 196 countries, that comprise "the world"...US, Liberia, and Burma are the only 3 that do not use the metric system.

OP
OP
J

JT_hunter

Oct 28, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000 di Pro - Fisher CZ5 - Garrett AT pro - Whites M6 - Garrett Sea Hunter MK ll - Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure_Hunter, My point is why should I have to figure out the conversion, we live in the US and use standard units of measure. I'm not wanting to get readings that are super precise, I just want to see a 7 if it's about 7 inches, if it's 3 inches I want to see a 3 on the screen, Just like detectors from American companies. If they can make a detector with multiple languages, Nokta can make the FORS CoRe with the switchable metric to standard units of measure. I'm sure this is a very simple fix. In fact it should have been thought of when they sat around the conference room table and the question came up, ok any other ideas before we release it to America. Well in America they use standard units of measure so we should make sure the user can select metric or standard units. But I guess no one thought of that.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter, My point is why should I have to figure out the conversion, we live in the US and use standard units of measure. I'm not wanting to get readings that are super precise, I just want to see a 7 if it's about 7 inches, if it's 3 inches I want to see a 3 on the screen, Just like detectors from American companies. If they can make a detector with multiple languages, Nokta can make the FORS CoRe with the switchable metric to standard units of measure. I'm sure this is a very simple fix. In fact it should have been thought of when they sat around the conference room table and the question came up, ok any other ideas before we release it to America. Well in America they use standard units of measure so we should make sure the user can select metric or standard units. But I guess no one thought of that.

Last thing that would ever stop me from buying a detector is if it is cm or inches... I pay little to no attention to depth readings, if its good tone I dig it...

Depth measurements are based on coin size targets and rarely ever accurate to begin with.. I have an Etrac that has depth measurement, I pay no attention to it..

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well while not a deal breaker, the cm scale is not accurate at all for US coins as it is regulated for the much larger Euro. Ive found that diving whatever cm reading you see by 4, gives you a very accurate depth for us coins, vs 2.5 due to the Euro calculation.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well said, Treasure Hunter.

Random trivia...of the 196 countries, that comprise "the world"...US, Liberia, and Burma are the only 3 that do not use the metric system.
Soooo...193 countries are wrong.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last thing that would ever stop me from buying a detector is if it is cm or inches... I pay little to no attention to depth readings, if its good tone I dig it...

Depth measurements are based on coin size targets and rarely ever accurate to begin with.. I have an Etrac that has depth measurement, I pay no attention to it..

Depth readings...what's that?? IMHO, one more distraction and the only element that has no bearing whatsoever on whether I dig a target or not. It's great marketing hype (if you like that kind of thing?) Dubious readings in "perfect situations"...I'd rather have my detector be a little lighter without this option :)

Last edited:

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soooo...193 countries are wrong.

Not sure about right or wrong, was just blurting out a random fact. Just like detecting, sometimes ya come across across things that are interesting, but not necessarily what you were looking for. Yes this probably could be addressed with a software upgrade, but designing your product to utilize a standard accepted by 98.5% of the world doesn't seem like a silly thing to do?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JT, stand by your principals, it is your money and your choice and that is what makes living here so great. I am with you 100%. I would not want a car with metric on the speedometer either.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fors core has vibrating handle, built in LED lights and can ground balance on saltwater beaches to be very stable, plus you can descriminate out iron on beach.... Those are major features, depth readings not so much.... Like bowwinkles says its your money so buy what you want, I'm just giving my opinion based on my beach test and what I know about it...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

All the years i have hunted i really never paid any attention to the depth readings... As a matter of fact i do not even look at the depth readings.. Like ..TH.. if get a good tone i dig it ... Of course the Sovereign has no depth meter and the Garrets i used had no depth meter .. You really do not need a depth meter on a detector .... At least i don't..

Last edited:

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure about right or wrong, was just blurting out a random fact. Just like detecting, sometimes ya come across across things that are interesting, but not necessarily what you were looking for. Yes this probably could be addressed with a software upgrade, but designing your product to utilize a standard accepted by 98.5% of the world doesn't seem like a silly thing to do?

I was making a joke, sorry you over-thought it.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
BigWaveD .. i thought it was pretty funny i even give you a like on it..

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was making a joke, sorry you over-thought it.

LOL, gotta love the written word as opposed to real life conversation. I think you over thought my over thinking of your post:laughing7:

scannerguy1968

Jun 4, 2015
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Many
Current
Tesoro Vaquero
Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't too happy either when I found out. That was after I bought it. Seemed to use it quite a bit on my v3i. This is a different story though now that I have it. One tap with pinpoint and you can close your eyes and tell how deep a target is. Besides. Depth reading is so far off it isn't even funny. A 4 inch target reads 33 cm. That's a lot of inches. a 10 inch quarter (Yes it will hit) will read 39 cm. That's as high as it goes. I've learn that if I do look at depth anything below 20 cm is less than 2 inches. Anything above 35 cm is gotta be old. Anything in between is 3-5 inches

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to coins the meter is off but if you try it on a half dollar coin its very close so like someone said its based off a euro possibly. I dug a target that was a 200+ year old candle wick trimmer and it showed it at 36 cm which is a little more than 14", I have the dig on video and that's about how deep the trimmer was.
Depth gauge is rarely used because even the best are fooled by size etc of the target.
The important things are speed recovery, target id accuracy and then all the great options that TH mentioned earlier about this machine. IMHO you cant go wrong buying this machine. I've hit civil war horse tack rivets at 15" with this machine and that was following two veteran detectorists with high dollar machines who both went over the same ground and found nothing and my nokta was in DI3 mode..it's weakest mode. CM or inches wont get you the prize its this machine that will.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree Centimeters instead of inches would bug me.
But since I never look at depth anyway, I'd survive that :laughing7:
But the biggest deal breaker for me is lack of Multi tones.
any detector I use Must have a wide rage of tones.
just something I'm hooked on. and since I don't know what detectors other then minelab
have Multi Tones, I pay little to no attention to other brands.

Last edited:

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People who don't know the machine of course don't know there's more to it than a couple tones. It has a true all metal mode which is one tone but has ID with it(rarity), it has a DI2 mode which is two tone but has proximity sensing and here's a key point you can change the tones on it, it has DI3 mode which has 3 tones to it. I've swung a lot of machines and when I got down to what I actually needed it was 3 tones to tell me low, mid, high so ask yourself what do you really need, I mean the audio to alert you as to what kind and the VDI to help differentiate between the targets. This machine also has tone roll so it's audio isn't some basic set up..proximity, tone roll, tone change, multi tone..its a great machine

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a glaring fact has been omitted regarding this particular unit and that is that it not only does well in coin & relic hunting, but it is also a very capable gold prospecting unit and to top it off performs admirably on salty beaches YET the sticking point is someone cannot work out measurement conversions on the fly - Gee thats a tough one - Is there any other VLF's that can do the same to the same standard???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread