mrbennie

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2016
Richmond, TX
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it does not seem that I will be getting and answer to my issue regarding the GB value. I have worn the phone and email out talking to the vendor and Nokta/Makro.

I really like the feel and looks of the unit. It just frustrates me that regardless what type of soil I am in the GB value never changes fro 90.

I noted in another forum where a Gold Racer owner was discussing the different GB values he gets when he is out.

Another thing is the carry bag you get with. For the kind of money you spend on this unit you think they would offer you a back with higher quality than an everyday plastic grocery bag.

I am seriously considering returning the unit and going with a Garrett AT Gold.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, and next time maybe you should look at an American made machine with years of customer service history behind it. 8-)

OP
OP
M

mrbennie

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2016
Richmond, TX
Detector(s) used
Makro Gold Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is where I am headed. Any suggestion as to comparable units?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is surprising that you are not getting the customer service you expect from Makro. They seem to be on the ball when taking care of their customers especially when it came to the original Racer that had the coil problems.....Let us know how you make out...Hope they solve your problem for you...Good Luck...

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck, and next time maybe you should look at an American made machine with years of customer service history behind it. 8-)

Sounds like the same song that people in the 80's sang about American cars. The automakers abroad forced the big, lazy companies to improve and increase innovation and quality.

You can stay in love with stagnate technology and outdated models. Makro, Nokta, and XP will force others to step it up or move out of the way.

Nokta Detectors

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jun 2, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Detector(s) used
NOKTA AND MAKRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is surprising that you are not getting the customer service you expect from Makro. They seem to be on the ball when taking care of their customers especially when it came to the original Racer that had the coil problems.....Let us know how you make out...Hope they solve your problem for you...Good Luck...

Hello there. Just wanted to chime in here and clarify a few things:
I have been in contact with the customer since the first day I got his email which was March 10th and followed up on it on a daily basis. Today, I personally made the call to the customer with my engineer and field trainer and asked him to try a few things for us. We assured him that his device will be replaced in case we cannot resolve the issue.
Nokta & Makro Detectors have stood and will keep on standing behind their products and make it right for their valued customers - whom we owe where are today.
Thank you!

DiggerinVA

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2013
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Detector(s) used
GPX5000, AT Gold, AT Pro, Whites TDI, Bandido 2 umax, Tejon, Vaquero, Deus 2, ORX and Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the AT Gold!!! Best detector I have owned or used.....my favorite. And Garrett has always resolved any of my issues with less than a 5 minute phone call. Several times I was a fault and they still made things right! Good Luck!

ShovelNose

Apr 6, 2010
Little River S.C.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay with the RG. They will get it straighten out. I have never seen customer service like this. I bought a new CZ3D and had to send it back 3 times before it was right. I have had the AT Gold and while a good MD the RG will trump it with a lot more useable features. IMHO

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the AT Gold!!! Best detector I have owned or used.....my favorite. And Garrett has always resolved any of my issues with less than a 5 minute phone call. Several times I was a fault and they still made things right! Good Luck!

You don't see Garrett or any other metal detector manufacturers responding to customers on open forums like Nokta/Makro....and Mr. Bennie neglected to mention that Makro responded to him and would send him a replacement if necessary....Many times you only hear one side of the coin...Pardon the pun...

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My suggestion is to keep working with the Makro representative.
If you set the machine to factory defaults and ground balance over a variety of different soils types and the GB # never changes... something doesn't sound right.

Does it do this with different coils?
If you don't have another coil, maybe Makro could send you the 5" coil to try to see if there is a problem with the coil/cable?

Buying something as soon as it comes out, is not a good idea. It usually takes a little bit for them to get the kinks out of manufacturing.
With that said, I would think they would be very willing to assist these early buyers.

As far as the quality of the carry bag goes...if you bought the Pro Package...you are buying a carry bag, batteries, charger, headphones, and rain cover for $60.
My suggestion is to buy the standard package, add the extra shaft and 5" coil, and rain cover...then buy better batteries, better charger, better headphones, and a $15 duffle bag from Walmart.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reminder this is Nokta/Makro forum, not Garrett or any other brand.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Gold - HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still planning on buying the Makro racer gold when thee wireless headphones come out . I've seen many more pro's than con's for this detector . There is'nt a company out there with zero problems . The fact is some people would rather complain , about something being wrong with their detector than send it back for repairs , and be without it .

motohed

Dec 27, 2015
RI
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS , AND OLDER GARRETT'S
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mrbennie , I was just thinking about your detector issue , I would pop the coilcover off and make sure everything is clean . Maybe you have something between the cover and coil thats messing with your GB issue , just a thought .

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just to add my .02 Nokta/Makro stood by their product when I purchased the Racer and immediately noticed a problem with the 11" coil. The turn around on having a new 11" coil in my hands was amazing. I am sure that they will stand by their product with you as well Mr. Bennie and most likely replace it if they can not get the issue solved.

Good luck and happy hunting!
-TwoYewts

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about an update? Did Makro take care of you on this issue?

sycotoad

Jul 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that would be good to know ;)

Personally I would have contacted them first before starting a thread as Makro/Nokta service is simply the best -

Nokta Detectors

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jun 2, 2014
Istanbul, Turkey
Detector(s) used
NOKTA AND MAKRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about an update? Did Makro take care of you on this issue?

We contacted the customer right away and asked him to do a few tests for us to find the cause of the issue but he decided to change his Gold Racer with the Racer and the distributor did replace it for him. He wrote:

''Dilek:
I replaced the Racer Gold with a standard Racer. In reviewing the user manual I do not seem to find how to return the unit to its factory default mode. Does it allways start up in factory default?
So far I have had no issues and have enjoyed using to date..
Regards''

He can also verify this.
Thank you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread