Makro Racer 2 Iron Audio and Bottlecaps

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those who own the Racer 2 I'd like some insight as to how it handles the various bottlecaps (Corona glass bottle tops...) with the Iron Audio enabled. I'm aware that most bottlecaps have a large ferrous makeup with other alloys. Its pretty tough avoiding these with a DD coil even when using the heel and toe technique when bottlecaps are deeper than 7 inches. Is the Iron Audio effective at reasonable depth on the Racer 2? On my AT Pro the Iron Audio has varying effectiveness depending on ground balance parameters and depth.

USERNAME IS VALID

Feb 27, 2016
Norcal
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II
XP DEUS
TESORO VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found very old one today at about 6 inches, I think it was showing 96, isn't that silver range? It was very old and corroded and I knew as soon as I saw the red dirt it was not silver and rang a higher tone but come to think of it, I did not check the hole for anything else, I should go back and look under that plug. I just covered it back up as soon as I saw the red dirt and the cap because it was 100 degrees and at the end of the day, I just wanted water and walked back to my car after that. All the others I dug were newer but not that deep and were coming in at I think 64 and had the top squealing tone and a few overloaded it.

It's a pretty safe bet that if it's a super high tone and in the mid 60's, mostly 64's, it's a bottle cap or a zinc penny (they were beeping at 66-67) from what I saw today because I was digging everything to see what the readout was trying to tell me since I just got it.

I did have iron audio at 0 and gain at 60 because the park I was in had power lines on both sides of me and used it mostly in two tone and beach mode. I don't know if that helps but it's about all I know.

Last edited:

Monte

Jun 5, 2008
Vale, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact (2), FORS Relic (3), FORS CoRe (2)
Makro Racer 2
Tesoro Vaquero, Bandido II µMAX, Silver Sabre µMAX & Mojave
Makro and Nokta Pinpointers
Killer-B 'Hornet' headphones
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For those who own the Racer 2 I'd like some insight as to how it handles the various bottlecaps (Corona glass bottle tops...) with the Iron Audio enabled.
Let me first clarify some of the confusion we face due to the use of terminology some manufacturers use so we can better answer, and understand the answer,related to the function terminology you have posted.

I own and use the Makro Racer, two of them as a matter of fact. I also have some Gold Racers, and in your detector list I note you have a Nokta FORS CoRe. I also have my FORS CoRe,a FORS Gold +,and some FORS Relic models. and I mention these because they help explain some of myresponses to your post.

To answer your question about how the Racer 2's handle some problem iron trashlike Bottle Caps (Crown Caps and other similar 'flat-iron' or some call it'sheet-iron'), I feel it handles most targets quite well, especially once you spend enough time afield to learn the audio characteristics and qualities the Racer 2, and Nokta FORS Relic, or FORS CoRe and other detectors have to offer.

Now, to address your question about the use of Iron Audio, we encounter a problem based upon terminology and use of the same name as used with the Garrett AT Gold, AT Pro, and Ace 400, for example, when compared with the Makro Racer 2.

Garrett Metal Detectors uses the term 'Iron Audio' for an On/Off dual function. With these Garrett models, you can use theIron Discrimination to Reject (Discriminate or silence) some of the lower Iron Tone range targets. The Owner Manual suggests searching with Iron Audio turned 'Off' and doing so you will hear a lower audio tone for targets that are usually iron-based and fall below the Low Iron Tone and non-ferrous Mid-Tone "tone break point", but above the Disc. setting. If you have a suspected iron-based target you can turn 'Iron Audio' 'On' and hear two different audio responses.

Even though you might have some iron targets rejected (Discriminated) like iron nails and not hear them, when a Garrett Iron Audio function is turned 'On' you WILL then hear a lower processed iron tone for what had been audibly rejected. However, doing so it also reduces the Mid-Tone audio response to process ALL targets above the Discriminate point, including iron-based targets that are above the Discriminated rejection setting, to then respond with a Mid-Tone non-ferrous audio response and/or a High-Tone (in Pro Mode) or Bell-Tone (in STD mode) audio response ....especially if it is problem iron that I call "sheet-iron" or it is also called "flat-iron."

Iron Nails or Cut Wire and similar rod-like ferrous trash is usually more easily Discriminated, whereas 'Sheet-Iron' or 'Flat-Iron' objects are more challenging because man has shaped annoying iron into a more conductive and challenging physical configuration for a metal detector to deal with. It can also be a bit more difficult for detectors using a Double-D search coil compared with a Concentric type, but all detectors and all coil types can have a challenge dealing with this type of problem-shaped ferrous junk.

Some good examples of "sheet-iron' or 'flat-iron' include iron washers, rusty tin, and ... we can't forget ... the crown-type Bottle Caps.

So, using the processed audio 'On' function of the Garrett Metal Detectors featured and named 'Iron Audio' function, the operator needs to know that it will do two things:

1.. Let them hear targets that had been rejected.
2.. Change the Low-Tone and Mid & High-Tone 'break point' from the standard Iron Disc. range down to where the Iron Disc. setting rejection pointis.

This is one reason the manual suggests NOT using 'Iron Audio' turned 'On' during a search, but only access it when you suspect a potential iron targets might be encountered.

Here is a cut-and-past from the AT Pro Owner Manual, pages 27, 28 & 29:

Scattered iron objects in the ground can mask good targets and even create “ghost signals” that appear to be a good target.Garrett’s selectable Iron Audio feature allows the user to hear discriminated iron (normally silenced) in order to know the whole picture and avoid being tricked into digging an undesired target.

Iron Audio also allows adjustment of the mid-tone’s range to include all targets above the iron discrimination setting. The user is adjusting the cut-off between low-tone iron targets and mid-tone targets to better distinguish good targets

When Iron Audio is on in the PRO Mode, iron targets will not only be heard, but they will produce an even more distinctive response with multiple tones. For example, a nail will produce several fast low tones as the searchcoil passes over. A flat iron object like a bottle cap or steel washer will produce a very distinctive Low-High-Low response.

Tip for using Iron Audio: In areas with high concentrations of iron, it is recommended to switch off Iron Audio. Otherwise,it may produce far too many signals. Then, if a target is detected that has a questionable or inconsistent response, switch on Iron Audio to check if it is iron.

To fully appreciate the additional information offered by the Iron Audio feature, conduct the following experiment:

Start with the AT Pro in Standard(STD) Zero Mode and pass the searchcoil over a bottle cap which is lying flat on the ground. Note that the target response is consistent with the audio of a good target. Then, switch the detector into PRO Zero Mode and pass the searchcoil over the bottle cap again. Note thesubtle low tones at the beginning and end of the target response, indicating a questionable target that might be made of iron.

Finally, set IRON DISC to 35, switch on Iron Audio and pass the coil completely over this target again. The distinctive Low-High-Low response now indicates a target that is unmistakably iron.

Now, let's look at the Makro Detectors Racer 2 model. They also use the term 'Iron Audio' but it is quite different from Garrett Metal Detectors use of that term. On the Racer2, 'Iron Audio' is used to refer to the Volume or Loudness adjustment of all targets in the Low Iron Audio range (or those below the Tone Break setting which the operator controls to some degree). Let me insert here that their sister company, Nokta Detectors, produces the new FORS Relic, and it also has the same Iron Tone 'loudness' adjustment, but it is labeled 'Iron Volume.'

To me, if an iron target is Discriminated, you won't hear it (unlessit is a problem type iron object such as a Bottle Cap or other 'sheet-iron' type), but with most detectors with a 2-Tone or 3-Tone audio that try to lump ferrous targets into a Low-Iron Tone range, , if you listen, you can hear kind of a 'duck squawk' or 'scratchy' sort of an audio response on the approach and/or departure sweep of problem 'sheet-iron' type trash.

As most know, and as the Garrett manual refers to, "
A flat iron objectlike a bottle cap or steel washer will produce a very distinctive Low-High-Low response.." and I am just fine using the Racer 2's 'Iron Audio' or FORS Relic's 'Iron Volume' feature (the same thing, different name, that simply means you have reduced to 'Iron Audio Volume' or Loudness) so that I can hunt many iron littered sites and still hear most iron trash, using a lower Disc.setting, but maintain the Tone Breaks I want AND hear the Low Tone audio from iron at a much reduced Volume level.

I'm aware that most bottle caps have a large ferrous makeup with other alloys. Its pretty tough avoiding these with a DD coil even when using the heel and toe technique when bottle caps are deeper than 7 inches.
Yes, it is tough to avoid hearing Bottle Caps and similar man-shaped ferrous with a Double-D coil. A little more discernible with a Concentric coil on many makes and models, but some modern detectors, designed around a DD coil from the get-go, can do quite well with Target ID. I happen to be impressed with the Disc. performance and TID and Tone ID I get from all the Racer series and FORS series models, but like anything, you just have to put in the time and effort to learn and master them.

Is the Iron Audio effective at reasonable depth onthe Racer 2?
Yes, the Racer 2's audio Volume functioning, named 'Iron Audio', does a very good job on even the smaller size and or deeper-located targets.

On my AT Pro the Iron Audio has varying effectiveness depending on ground balance parameters and depth. [/QUOTE]Yes, it might, because the AT Pro is not trying to simply apply a Volume level adjustment, but when it is 'On' it is applying more of a processed audio response while also altering the break-point of the Low-Tone and Mid-Tone targets. Ground Balance can have an effect on TID, and we also know target depth, as it gets farther from the coil, can also be more difficult to properly process with a correct TID.

I hope I haven't confused you or other readers on this, but once you understand just what each manufacturer means by their use of the term 'Iron Audio,' you might better understand they are two completely different functions and should be learned and understood to know the strengths and weaknesses theymight offer us.

The bulk of my detecting is in very iron littered sites. I have used both the AT Pro and the newer AT Gold in these places and learned what they can, and can't, do for me to satisfy my needs. They are good detectors, but for me and my skill-set combined with how the Racer series and FORS series work, I feel they provided me better all-purpose performance, combined with comfort and 'fit' and are my favorite detectors and a solid use in my personal detector battery.

Monte

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread