Nokta Fors Core Vs Red Racer (Dreaded 82 VDI)

JeremiahEdward

Aug 7, 2016
Williamsport, Pa
Detector(s) used
Nokta Velox One, Makro Racer(Red), Garret AT Pro, Garrett Ace 400, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,

I'm eyeing up a Nokta Fors Core right now. I have previously used the Makro Racer (Red racer), but it seemed to lump everything (coins, and trash) in the 82-83 range. After doing some reading, I see that it is a common issue experienced by many people. I know that the Racer 2 has addressed this issue with the extended VDI range, but I really like the look of the Fors Core. I absolutely hate the stupid foam handles of the Makro's (and many many other detectors). I find them to be uncomfortable and impossible to keep clean. The Nokta units seem to address that with their handles.

Reports say that the Red Racer and the Cores are virtually identical in functionality. Is this correct? Do the Fors Core detectors also tend to lump everything right around 82?

Thanks for any input.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Have you considered the Nokta Impact?

BTW I found a seated half dime at a hunted to death site with my Red Racer, and yep, you guessed it, it TID'd @ 82 :)

Dr. Witty

Jan 8, 2015
Upstate NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Makro Racer 2 and Makro Kruzer
Garrett Carrot pro-pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Self Bonding Super Tape that I found at Harbor Freight works great for creating grips. I'm not ready to remove the foam grip from my Racer (which I believe is a better grip then the Garrett foam grips,) but i did use it on my AT Pro when it's grip started to tear. I've had it on for over a year and it still works great, even under water.

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like the Nokta Relic a lot better than I did the Racer 2. It's runs quieter, it's deeper, it's a whole lot better balanced when using the larger search coil and it gives a better target ID since the numbers are more spread out. The Fors Core isn't bad.

tabman

Stoof2010

Jul 12, 2016
S.E. Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree that the relic is both deeper and with the more spread vdi scale it's easier to ID.
I have both but don't see myself getting rid of the racer 2 quite yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread