5/8/17 Nokta Impact observations and updates

b3y0nd3r

Aug 27, 2011
Detector(s) used
ctx 3030 nokta impact Equinox 800
After three weeks with the Impact, I am still impressed. Here is an update of my current situation and experiences:

First, Video recording.

I took the plunge and bought a new video camera and mount. The current camera I have is poor on the sound and the way I had it mounted, you would get motion sick watching the videos. With my new equipment, I plan on doing many videos om me metal detecting, sharing my experience and skill. BTW, A big thank you to Bill S. as I watched how he has his camera set up and I plan to have it set up like wise.

Second, Impact observations:

This last weekend, I got out only once as heavy rain killed my Sat ans Sun hunting. As part of my testing routine, I am hitting places that have been cleaned of all the low hanging fruit.

My old school. This place I have found 20 or more silvers. The place was well hunted before I got there. I worked it with the Etrac and Ctx, my father with the Deus. This trip I didn't get any great targets, but the thing was, how the Impact performed was more interesting to me.

You see, in the past, the CTX ran quiet with discrimination. If I opened up the discrimination on the CTX, it sounded like a confusing chatter box. On the Impact, the machine seemed to easily differentiate between targets. I spent more time analyzing signals than digging them(which is OK because in the long run it will pay off big). I had NO idea that there were THAT many targets there.

I was working where the old bleachers, and there were loads of iron nails and some conductives. The way the machine separated was one thing, but the realization that hit me was a whole another thing.

Realization:
Up until this point, the unmaksing I discovered with the CTX was when they stripped away a one inch layer of nails and all kinds of targets appeared. This machine, was showing me masking that the CTX was suffering from. It was like all of the sudden, I could understand the what the machine was seeing. It was a strange revelation.

Now, I love the CTX and have been using it SINCE it first came out(in fact I own two of them), and I had a huge argument on another forum about CTX and lacking in unmasking. No doubt in an isolated test, the CTX can unmask, but out in the field, it's a much different story.

All in all, I still need about 20-30 hours more testing before I can come to any sort of final conclusion.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
It's definitely an interesting experience to take the Impact to your "worked out" haunts and see if you can eek out another keeper. My Racer1 and Racer2 revived a site that had gone silver dead for several years, I'm hoping I can achieve similar results with the Impact and all of the various modes and frequencies available....I'm thinking 5Khz DEEP mode might be killer for sniffing out any lingering silver. The site is pretty clean now, so even the GEN(D) mode might be the ticket, will be interesting to see how it does the next time I get to that particular site.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's definitely an interesting experience to take the Impact to your "worked out" haunts and see if you can eek out another keeper. My Racer1 and Racer2 revived a site that had gone silver dead for several years, I'm hoping I can achieve similar results with the Impact and all of the various modes and frequencies available....I'm thinking 5Khz DEEP mode might be killer for sniffing out any lingering silver. The site is pretty clean now, so even the GEN(D) mode might be the ticket, will be interesting to see how it does the next time I get to that particular site.

Well,
To sneak out any additional silver out of a hard hunted site previously using others detectors.

Settings wise to use on Impact,,,will depend on site.

If it has a lot of nails and iron,,using 20khz di99 mode is a choice.

There could even be some nice finds left that aren't silver or even a coin too.

It is very possible for I pact to alert on a coin,,,and just give tonal clues with improper ID.

Deep mode will restrict recovery delay times,,but yes in milder soil will punch down in the gaps with the nails.

My personal opinion,,,a site that has produced well in the past,,and has a lot of modern trash and or iron/nails,,user of Impact CAN'T depend on one set of settings to include freq,,and hunt a site and declare " supposed dead".

A lot of permutations target scenario wise in a site,,,Impact can unlock some of them.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Well,
To sneak out any additional silver out of a hard hunted site previously using others detectors.

Settings wise to use on Impact,,,will depend on site.

If it has a lot of nails and iron,,using 20khz di99 mode is a choice.

There could even be some nice finds left that aren't silver or even a coin too.

It is very possible for I pact to alert on a coin,,,and just give tonal clues with improper ID.

Deep mode will restrict recovery delay times,,but yes in milder soil will punch down in the gaps with the nails.

My personal opinion,,,a site that has produced well in the past,,and has a lot of modern trash and or iron/nails,,user of Impact CAN'T depend on one set of settings to include freq,,and hunt a site and declare " supposed dead".

A lot of permutations target scenario wise in a site,,,Impact can unlock some of them.

I've detected the site that dried up so many times, there's virtually no trash left. Although there are a few nails here and there, iron isn't a major issue either. It's not a huge site, so it's affords the opportunity to hunt through it a few times during one hunt trying different settings. I suspect anything left there (gold coin?) is either semi masked, or deep but interestingly when the Racer1 and Racer2 brought the site back to life, I'd say half of the finds were surprisingly shallow (6" or less). These are finds the Etrac, Sovereign, F75 LTD1/2, Omega, F5, etc., missed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions