First hunt with the Nokta Impact

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out to a old farm house yard today with the Impact. I did ok considering that I'm new to it. Mostly used the DI4 program, FeVol 1, 14Khz, disc 3, tracking 01, gain at 70.
The small buckle was in the hole with the bent nail. Above them is a small brass rectangular buckle. The eagle had it's wings broken but it was cool to find it. 5 Wheaties.
A little chatty at 70 but not too bad. I am wondering about TID's as the Merc came in around 76-78 and the chart that I have says that dimes would come it around 85 at 14Khz. It's a chart I saw on TomD's site so maybe it's an old chart, I'm not sure. Otherwise the Impact worked fine.

Nokta finds 7-1-17.jpg

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does it compare with the other machines listed in your avatar?

Chub

OP
OP
gene the machine

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chub, I seems like a cross between a CTX3030 and an XP Deus. Almost as heavy as a CTX with fast reactivity like the Deus. Menu is easy to navigate like the Deus. I always had trouble finding my way around the CTX menu system: different functions under different buttons, trying to remember what was where. Impact menu is right there, no digging around. It's kind of chatty like the Deus, kind of hard to settle it down and not hear so many chirps but it seems like it can go deep. Remember to ask me in a week or so as I've only been out with it a few times. I hope this helps some.
gene
How does it compare with the other machines listed in your avatar?

Chub

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few programs to help get you started. With the detector set up this way, you can switch between different programs depending on the type of hunting you're planning on doing. Make adjustments to suit your type of hunting and hunting environment.

Tot Lot / Volleyball / Soccer Field Program VLX2
Gain 70, Disc 40, No Notch, Iron Vol. 0, iSat 01
Freq. 20 kHz, Tone Breaks 40-55-80 (default)
Park Program VLX1 No Zincs
Gain 50, Disc 53, Notch 57-82, Iron Vol. 0, iSat 02
Freq. 14 kHz, Tone Breaks 40-80, Tones 15-35-70
Trashy Park Program DI4 with Zincs
Gain 30, Disc 27, Notch 33-42, 46-63, Iron Vol. 0
Tone Breaks 15-33-76, Freq. 14 kHz, iSat 02
Ghost Town Program Small Coil DI3
Gain 95, Disc 03, Notch none
Tone Break 15 & 65, Tones 15-35-70
Iron Vo. 01, Freq. 20 kHz
Ghost Town Program Large Coil DI99
Iron Vol. 01, Freq. 20 kHz

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting settings. Thanks for posting that. I'm going to try some.

For the "VLX1 No Zincs" did you perhaps mean to notch out 57-72 instead
of 57-82? You won't hit any copper pennies or dimes if you notch all
the way up to 82. I hit those coins at 77-79, typically.

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In VLX1 copper pennies come in at 83 - 84 using 14 kHz frequency with ID numbers Normalized. If you try 20 kHz frequency, then copper pennies will be disc'd out at 82 in VLX1. The setting all play with, or against each other, so it's important to make sure all settings that you adjust will work in your environment.

TallTom

Mar 3, 2012
So. Calif.
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact, Makro Racer, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're right! I spend all my time using DI3, DI99, and COG modes, so I forgot about the number
shift in in VLX1. Thanks!

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom - I wanted to see if I could set different programs for different type sites that I usually hunt. That way I could just switch programs without having to change settings too often. My first go at it was not to my satisfaction and I was not to thrilled with my new detector. Headed home, and with the manual, and a handful of test targets, I set out to make improvements to my programs. These coin & jewelry programs are pretty much designed for newer or fresh drops, and as you noticed, sometimes I don't bother with Zincs either. Oh my God! You're going to miss that one in a million Gold ring that falls into the Zinc range. Others can spend all the time they want looking for those. In fact, If they send me a self addressed, stamped envelope, I'll send them a list of all the parks I left those rings in. :laughing7:
You'll also notice the Tot Lot, Volleyball, and Soccer Field program has very little discrimination so I don't miss the gold in those locations. Hunting for deep, older targets requires completely different settings and I'm still playing with those. The Impact has hundreds of setting combinations so have fun trying different settings to see what works best for you.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few programs to help get you started. With the detector set up this way, you can switch between different programs depending on the type of hunting you're planning on doing. Make adjustments to suit your type of hunting and hunting environment.

Tot Lot / Volleyball / Soccer Field Program VLX2
Gain 70, Disc 40, No Notch, Iron Vol. 0, iSat 01
Freq. 20 kHz, Tone Breaks 40-55-80 (default)
Park Program VLX1 No Zincs
Gain 50, Disc 53, Notch 57-82, Iron Vol. 0, iSat 02
Freq. 14 kHz, Tone Breaks 40-80, Tones 15-35-70
Trashy Park Program DI4 with Zincs
Gain 30, Disc 27, Notch 33-42, 46-63, Iron Vol. 0
Tone Breaks 15-33-76, Freq. 14 kHz, iSat 02
Ghost Town Program Small Coil DI3
Tone Break 15 & 65, Tones 15-35-70
Iron Vo. 01, Freq. 20 kHz
Ghost Town Program Large Coil DI99
Iron Vol. 01, Freq. 20 kHz

Suggest posting this as a standalone post next time rather than buried in someone else's finds thread so that it can be more easily found and so others can add their own custom programs to the thread. You could call it "Favorite Impact Custom Program Settings" and perhaps a mod (hint, hint) can create a sticky thread for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread