Looking for nickels with the impact. Any advice?

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took the day off yesterday and spent it with my son at an old local park. Obviously the park has been cherry picked with very few high tones to be found. that said, lots of mid tones left behind and most are foil targets with VDI's right inside the nickel range.

Is their any way to pick out the nickels from these targets? When i had the E-trac, the gap was very tight and when i saw a 12/12 or 12/13 i was 90 percent sure it was a nickel.
My son has an AT pro and can pick out a nickel with a very high probability as well.

any tips or techniques?

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Running in Di3 at 20kHz nickels are easier for me to hear and separate out from foil and can slaw by sound alone.

OP
OP
Ammoman

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks...so maybe it will be more about sound and less about VDI numbers with the Impact? When it comes to quarters dimes and copper pennies, i have it down pat. its the nickels that elude me. so far the only nickels i have found were in the hole with other change and when i was digging every signal meaning massive amounts of trash. I know silver has a distinct higher pitch in Di99. maybe i will play with a few nickels in di99 as well.

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely sound for me with mid tones. Those nickels sound nice and smooth. Foil and slaw have a scratchy, squawking element to the sound. Hard to explain, and it’s not 100% but I missed a few nickels with my Racer 2 that I’m finding easily with the Impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It just takes practice to listen to the sharpness of the tone, but not getting locked in on a specific TID, buffalo nickels, war nickels, and V nickels can sound slightly different from today's common Jeffery. Focus on translating sound into shape in your mind. But in all honest I say dig them all and you'll find more gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread