Smurfe

Greenie
Nov 2, 2016
Gonzales Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex +
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is probably a stupid question and has probably been asked before but a search didn't turn anything up but I often fail at searches. My question is, I notice the catalog always mentions "coil and cover" for each coil. I just got my Simplex + today and note the cover on the bottom of the coil. Does that stay in place or do you remove it when you use the detector? I went through my whole yard today and didn't get a single beep. If I got around large metal objects on the ground surface, the detector went crazy. Just was wondering if I was supposed to remove the bottom cover on the coil or not.

SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hunt with the cover on, it's there to protect the coil from getting dinged up. Every so often you'll want to remove it and clean it out, dirt and sand etc get in there and can create goofiness.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to just take a bit of change like nickles, dime and quarters and place them in a known area (spaced out) and do a bit of practice with that new detector. As soon as you gain a bit of confidence you will be ready to go. And like said above do use your coil cover. Also check the sensitivity setting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread