I was wrong about Simplex

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started off using this machine on boulevards and grass strips that had a ton of signals. I was overwhelmed and I formed a negative view of the machine. Now with more time using it, particularly in Park 1 mode, I have gained respect for it. I am getting some pretty serious depth with it in old hunted out parks. It's still bad for rusted bottle caps but I am going around that as I learn the machine a little more. This thing has a lot of handy features and I am slowly tweaking it to suit conditions and my preferences. For a machine at beginner level cost, it can give serious mid level machine performance. I am using the Garrett ATP as my mid level machine comparison, which is also the detector that I just stepped away from after years of use. If I feel this good about it now with only early season use, I am happy to realize that it has more to show/teach me.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, I agree! I bought the machine as a throw in the car detector, but I've grabbed it most days for the last two months. Fun detector and as deep as the ATPro in my soil. They need to increase the audio tone selection in each mode (i.e. 2, 3, 4, 5 ...10 or 20). The user should be able to select the number of tones per mode. The pin point function should be an ON/OFF function, not hold down. With these two fixes the machine would be fantastic and really grab a larger piece of the beginner and mid-range market.

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally agree! I bought the Simplex as a back up, but the more I use it, the more I like it. I now use it as much as my primary detector!

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually if it has any gurgle of iron tone, along with a mid/high tone, it will be iron ,,, But of course its always possible it could be both. Swing slow on park 1 or you will be missing out, it is deep seeking but very slow recovery.

Last edited:

Goldcraz

Greenie
Apr 30, 2020
Penhook va
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My simplex just came in the mail, got it assembled and reading up on it. I have never metal detected before so it's all new too me. really looking forward to trying it out.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually if it has any gurgle of iron tone, along with a mid/high tone, it will be iron ,,, But of course its always possible it could be both. Swing slow on park 1 or you will be missing out, it is deep seeking but very slow recovery.

I'm seeing some of that. I had to turn the iron volume up to catch it better.

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt almost exclusively in park 1 now I love it

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Coinboy,

A good trick is to use Park 1 while detecting, then if a broken signal (deep target) is found, switch to field mode and evaluate the target. Field mode appears a bit deeper and the audio (sounds like a Deus) for a higher tone and VID is more accurate in my soil matrix.

Doc

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Be careful with this!! These Nokta Makro machines audio is superb for unmasking. Yes sometimes a mixed tone is often deep or large iron. BUT more often than not, if you can get a repeatable non ferrous tone, there will be non ferrous in the hole. There might be 5 or 6 nails and a tiny piece of lead lol done it many time with the kruzer.

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bet we don’t see any additional tones added to the simplex, especially after the last video with Dilek I saw last week. She said it would start to blur the lines of what they envisioned the simplex to be.....simple and powerful. Maybe the “complex” is next and will give us anfibio level adjustment plus more. I think separating processes and tone options is a great idea. I also think adjustable transmit power and recovery speed would be awesome.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Engineers will constantly work on something until they pack the unit with so many features that it looses its edge. Additional 'anything' puts stress/load on the processor. One has to physically remove the development fixture from the Engineering Dept. :cake:

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be careful with this!! These Nokta Makro machines audio is superb for unmasking. Yes sometimes a mixed tone is often deep or large iron. BUT more often than not, if you can get a repeatable non ferrous tone, there will be non ferrous in the hole. There might be 5 or 6 nails and a tiny piece of lead lol done it many time with the kruzer.

I happened to be working a street tearout site complete with military buttons and 1800's coins. After I got done hammering clean signals I went to to hammering spotty ones, and that meant weak, repeatable non ferrous usually mixed with iron. Dozens and dozens and dozens of times, possibly into the 100's, it was old nails and old nails only, haven't pulled a single coin or button with a mixed signal so thats what I base my opinion on. Simplex gets fooled by old iron, from my experience it really is just as simple as that ,, But then again, most if not all detectors do as well to some degree - And if there were actually coins mixed in, I would have found them.

So you are saying odds are high I am saying odds are low, I don't know how to explain that, either you got lucky, have a better simplex or the dynamics vary from site to site. I am not advising BTW not to dig them, would be rather lame after I myself have dug well over 100 at just 1 site. Just saying, keep expectations realistic, as always. I like the mixed audio for iron feature on detectors, it is useful but no silver bullet. As always, the only verified certain way to confirm exactly what is underground is to dig it up, what the detector tells you is just an electronic best guess.

Last edited:

IowaRelic

Jul 29, 2018
Alabama from Iowa
Detector(s) used
Makro Multi Kruzer
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics Omega 8000 V4
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeah I dig my share of iron..... lots of iron....I guess I should clarify, my experience with the simplex in iron is minimal, I based that comment off the kruzers operation of course with more fine tuning than the simplex. So maybe it wasn’t a totally accurate depiction of my experience. Also I only have tested the simplex in 2 iron laden sites. The kruzer has done it much more. It definitely sounds as though your more experienced than I with the simplex. I also don’t use the 11” round coil on the kruzer which definitely affects performance in iron.

My hunting partner has much more time on it than me and he has complained before about iron falsing and no real way to deal with it. It still has amazed me it what it can do in iron and On deep lead.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the most important aspect for those gaining iron separation experience with the simplex, or any machine really, is to go by sound and pretty much forget about VDI, or at most just use it for occasional reference. VDI should not or ever be an essential part of serious metal detecting, or at least deep seeking coin shooting ,,, And it took me a while to come to that conclusion. I like numbers, would be great if they were consistently reliable, but there are not. VDI is great in tot lots, maybe casual beach hunts, but is actually counter productive on a serious ground hunt.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IowaRelic,

I sure hope they fix the tones. Having only 2 & 3 tones is very inefficient. Perhaps adding one option, say a 20 tone option, this they may do. This would help us tone hunters.

I really like the machine, but the limited tones is a problem. If they add one or two options for tones this wouldn't overlap their other fine machines, but would sell a lot of the lower end Simplex and begin to corner the entry level detectors.

Just my two cents,

Doc

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Xraywolf,

Yes! :icon_thumleft: This is why I think they should address the tone issue.

Doc

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Nokta Makro Simplex, pulsedive, Garrett Ace 200, Nokta pinpointer, Brute Magnetics 888 pound Fishing Magnet
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IowaRelic,

I sure hope they fix the tones. Having only 2 & 3 tones is very inefficient. Perhaps adding one option, say a 20 tone option, this they may do. This would help us tone hunters.

I really like the machine, but the limited tones is a problem. If they add one or two options for tones this wouldn't overlap their other fine machines, but would sell a lot of the lower end Simplex and begin to corner the entry level detectors.

Just my two cents,

Doc

Oh man a 20 tone option would be AWESOME!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Coinboy,

I truly believe leaving all the tones in each mode as they are (factory settings) and add a 20 tone option only would solve the problem for us tone hunters. This update alone would increase the sale of the machine to higher end users who require such tones for optimal hunting. I would by another one just for water hunting. The software update would not be a problem since they have the code written for another machine, only some minor adjustments.

Regards,

Doc

Coinboy

Dec 4, 2019
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Predatortools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Coinboy,

I truly believe leaving all the tones in each mode as they are (factory settings) and add a 20 tone option only would solve the problem for us tone hunters. This update alone would increase the sale of the machine to higher end users who require such tones for optimal hunting. I would by another one just for water hunting. The software update would not be a problem since they have the code written for another machine, only some minor adjustments.

Regards,

Doc
I completely agree.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello again Coinboy,

I received an email from the company and they will not be adding a 20 tone option! Too bad, this would make the machine a truly great detector.

I believe on this one they are being short sighted.

Regards,

Professor

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread