Does/has your Simplex screen flickered ?

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed my Simplex screen flickering now and then. Almost like it goes in and out of power. The effect is curious as it seems consistent like a drum beat when it's acting up. I've noticed this a few times on the machine but it seemed mild and went away. This isn't an EMI issue, as it has happened away from power lines. I can't remember the previous situation of mild flickering, but I sure do today. I was in a fresh water lake for 3-4 hours with extended display submersion. Man it flickered badly today. So my guess is obviously some type of control box leak ? I checked the connections to the phones and coil, both good. I was going to pull off the coil cover and clean that and the coil, maybe its sanded up. I can likely deduce this over time. But I was just curious if anyone else has ever seen this display screen flickering, and under what circumstances. Thanks.

L

l2hunt

i noticed mine do that the other day, it was very mild, i ignored it, then forgot about it, it went away after a while, not sure what happened but i haven't had mine in the water or too much sand either so just don't know , only had it out maybe three times being i just bought it less than a week ago. well if you figure it out let us know please. HH

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've had mine for a while and have not experienced flickering of the screen. Check your connections and make sure they are tight and secure.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As of the penning, I've experienced no screen flickering. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had mine for a while and have not experienced flickering of the screen. Check your connections and make sure they are tight and secure.

That was checked and explained in my original post. I sent an email to the regional distributor here about the moisture issue. I am also requesting the free supplemental lower rod insert, to stiffen the lower rod up. And inquiring about the price of the new longer main shaft, that is being sent out world wide, as an option for us taller folk. I'm not afraid of paying shipping costs, or buying the new longer main shaft, if the price is reasonable. I like the machine. I am impressed that Nok Mak is actually putting the effort out to tweak customer issues, particularly for a machine that's not considered the top of their line.

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for the long delay. I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger. I finally peeled my coil cover off and it rained sand, and it had dried gobs of muck in it. I cleaned the coil and cover and the machine was fine on land. I did a few hours of water last week and the machine was stable when I came out, zero screen flickering. So it looks like my guess of coil gunge was correct. I had the same thing happen with my Tesoro Tejon years back. I was doing farm fields pretty heavily for months when the Tejon went senile. I peeled the coil cover off and it was jammed with gunk. A swoosh for coil and cover in a creek had me back in business. I was told that the longer optional main shaft (4 inches longer) should be around these parts in a few weeks, and I will request the free lower shaft extension, that is supposed to firm it up. I have come to like this machine, and it is great fun to use, particularly for the low cost of admission.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine was 'pulse-flickering' neering the end of a 90+ degree hunt. I was thinking it was thermal connected. I went home. The next day, 70 degree weather, all is well. note that all this occured with a full charge and with the new SP24. Hoprfully, it was a gremlin:)

OP
OP
NWMP

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the new optional longer rod (for taller folks), and the insert (free) to stop coil shaft wobble. I'm hoping to get out soon for another swing.
0XhI9vo.jpg

pNOb3gr.jpg

sVh3ufP.jpg

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes ,, in cold weather..the back light did not shut off , the brightness fluctuates slightly ..not a big deal.. my simplex works good..I would not worry about it ..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread