2.77 or 2.78

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all, I’ve got the Nokta Simplex+ with version 2.78 which came preset on my machine. I’ve read the threads on the progression from 2.68 up to the 2.77 and 2.78. My question to other users is: Should I try the previous version 2.77? I’m starting to get a good feel for the search modes, mostly Park 1, Field and Park 2, in that order. I feel like I’m getting a good handle on it now after about a month of steady use....but wonder if I’m missing out on a little better performance from 2.77. Is there any shift in VDI or tone from one version to another? Better for deeper coins? Anyway, just curious about other users of both versions and what you think. Thanks in advance!

CalReg

May 3, 2020
San Jose, CA
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000, Simplex, Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure you can go backwards. If yours came pre-set with 2.78, not sure you can go back to 2.77. I've had mine on 2.78 (mine came pre-set with 2.68 when I bought it) for a while now, and while I will admit 2.77 is better, the difference is not that big. Stick with what you have, you'll be fine. Happy hunting!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its seriously good running 2.77 with the SP24 in Park1 mode ONLY

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update to the update. To be certain you can go backwards from 2.78 to 2.77. I just took the step backwards to 2.77 with no issues at all and.......best of all my new SP-24 arrives in 4 days! Thanks to Richard Guy for the feedback on this coil/software combination. I’ll be ready to revisit some of my former spots to get some time on my “new” Simplex.
More to follow.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi DF,
Those ID numbers will change a bit with the new SP24 coil, ... quarters seem to be the same value as the stock coil, dimes a tad lower, nickels a tad higher and pennies from 65 on up to 90. Just my findings in the soil here. When you hit a target, dance around in a circle for optimal location by swinging very short, quick passes while pulling back off the target, ... when and where your signal disappears, dig the target. That's the only time I swing quickly

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time out with the SP24...impressive but I have more to learn. I only spent about an hour but the separation seems to be good. I was hoping to pull some silver to boost my enthusiasm but it didn’t happen on this short hunt. I dug several pennies and some small clothing rivets in the 64-69 range. I did get some great sounding targets that showed 23-25 and more in the 29-35 that I passed by. I’m think I need to just dig everything till I’m more confident in the tone and VDI. I’ll be back at it soon, can’t wait!

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
about 7" down

Attachments

• side.jpg
    side.jpg
    948.1 KB · Views: 184
OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! The SP24 is so accurate on pinpoint is really not to difficult to find the target. I’m going back and dig everything till I can’t stand it....or I find gold!

Germanrazor

Jan 7, 2021
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+,
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am pretty sure you can revert back. I too purchased the 9.5x5 coil due to feedback. Not had an opportunity to use it yet with the new coil but eager to do so. I also purchased the lower carbon shaft to eliminate the terrible swing flex.

OP
OP
Rmeav8r

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes, you can go backwards with the updates...then forwards again if you wish.
I am pretty sure you can revert back. I too purchased the 9.5x5 coil due to feedback. Not had an opportunity to use it yet with the new coil but eager to do so. I also purchased the lower carbon shaft to eliminate the terrible swing flex.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes, you can go backwards with the updates...then forwards again if you wish.
Do any of you still have the 2.77 bin file you used to downgrade? I tried downgrading a brand new Simplex from 2.78 to 2.77 and have had all sorts of issues. Random freeze ups, coil errors, factory reset won't work. After reflashing 2.78 everything works fine. Would like to try and older 2.77 bin file to see if there is a difference from the one from Nokta website or if my detector is just defective.

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First time out with the SP24...impressive but I have more to learn. I only spent about an hour but the separation seems to be good. I was hoping to pull some silver to boost my enthusiasm but it didn’t happen on this short hunt. I dug several pennies and some small clothing rivets in the 64-69 range. I did get some great sounding targets that showed 23-25 and more in the 29-35 that I passed by. I’m think I need to just dig everything till I’m more confident in the tone and VDI. I’ll be back at it soon, can’t wait!

25 to 35 might be Jefferson Nickels, they bounce around 31

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have a new rule for myself since the '24, ... dig ALL targets in the 20s' range. Just about the time you become sick of pull-tabs as you curse the 'new rule', ... GOLD appears

Correct - today I did some air-test of some loot, and I got gold in some of those numbers, example: 23-24 from gold specimens ,
and my rings I got a 17-18 on a thin 12k gold wedding band.......So, numbers in the lower range, but good-sounding...!

Darryl.

Oct 15, 2021
Anyone have a copy of the 2.77 bin they could send me? I've looked all over the place with the search engines and can't find a copy.

If you know of an active link, that would work, too.

Darryl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread