rmcelrath

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2021
NE NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two weeks with the Simplex. Note: completely new detectorist here.
I have been enjoying detecting with this device. Reading a lot, and watching relevant YT videos. Iā€™m finding the usual, hunting two local schools, and some older parks. Iā€™m able to determine penny/dime/nickel/quarter (clad) by tones with referencing the VDI. Learning what kind of plug to dig, determined by where Iā€™m hunting, depth, etc. (love coins right at the surface) My house is 120 years old, on what used to be a farm. Iā€™m noticing that when Iā€™m in field or park mode, with
iron tones disabled, it will still give me a solid high tone and VDI at 85-90 when I swing over a piece of old cast iron sewage or water pipe. Not a big deal, Iā€™m digging everything right now just to educate myself. Looking for common experiences.
RS17digs

49er12

Bronze Member
Aug 22, 2013
Rolling Rock, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra, Whites DFX, Notka Makro Simplex. Folks the price donā€™t mean everything, the question is are you willing to put in the time to learn the machine, experience will pay off I guarantee it.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah look Iā€™ve owned the machine for 1 year, my experience is the same I usually leave iron on one notch, today off but it will still signal, any machine will, nothing perfect. The machine works well, you simply cant go on the vdi numbers itā€™s a combination of tones and numbers. Keep practicing or using it will make sense. Numbers do lie in situations, keep at it watch videos and learn thankyou

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VDI, or the numbers can be deceiving at times, even tho the machine is well balanced,
so, yeah, the tones help make the decision to dig or not.

OP
OP
R

rmcelrath

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2021
NE NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You were both correct about tones. I'm getting out with it as much as possible before it gets too hot. I'm learning what to expect in different types of areas, how the iron sounds, etc. I can usually identify a coin before I dig it up by a combination of tone and VDI number, pull tabs and rings sound practically the same so needless to say, I dig a lot of pull rings. Found a very old carpenters square the other day in a farm lot, that was interesting. It was badly rusted but came out intact.
Bits of copper tubing tones out almost identical to clad quarters.
I'm enjoying the learning process.
Another lesson I've learned, the peripheral gear like a pinpointer, good sharp light shovel, knee protection, so important to get the best that I can afford or make. I couldn't find a shovel I liked so I made one, it's perfect for me. Also modded a bag with a belt and buckle I like better than what it came with. All hand spades are not created equal. Carry water! I could go on, but I won't.
Anyway, thanks for the help.

ArthurEvans

May 10, 2016
Ulster County, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Ace Apex;
Tesoro TejĆ³n
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a Simplex, but this is a general phenomenon. Your detector doesn't see into the ground, it just measures how the electric/magnetic field under the coil is affected by everything down there.

Coins have specific sizes, weights, and metallic compositions, so their "conductivity" is consistent and VDIs are predictable (unless there's something else under the coil at the same time). Based on those assumptions, many detectors will "guess" how deep a coin is, but it's not testing that directly, like radar or sonar would, and if it's not a coin, it's not a reliable guess. A large piece of metal, even one with a relatively low conductivity, can seem to have higher conductivity just by virtue of of its size, shape, surface area, and orientation in the field of the coil. So it can ring up a higher VDI than a coin-size object of the same metal would.

Last edited:
L

l2hunt

I leave the iron audio off, the manual actually states the machine will be slightly deeper with the iron audio off, haven't tested this out though! Many times with iron pounds through i'll lift my coil and hover over the target fairly, that tells me if it's most likely iron, takes practice! HH

OP
OP
R

rmcelrath

Tenderfoot
Apr 6, 2021
NE NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, I've done that. I've also decreased sensitivity, and that's a good giveaway too.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I leave the iron at one notch and also put the iron on vibrate. That way get a little grunt on the headset and a slight buzz in my hand on most iron. The VDI in the 90s on large iron is just something to learn and deal with. About half the time, I don't realize its a big piece of iron until the pin pointer goes crazy, then I usually just cover it back up. Happy hunting!

NWMP

Nov 20, 2009
Riding a unicorn in the Saskatchewan mountains
Detector(s) used
Tejon, AT Pro, Simplex, Legend, and I still go home with a hand full of clad and junk some days.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of this is personal preference. In my second year of use I stay in Park 1 unless in the water. I go one or two bars down from max sensitivity. Iron is on 2/3 and volume two segments below max. I could probably drop it down one more. As I have it, every sound/tone is noticeable and differentiated distinctly. I'm to the point now where I can more or less day dream as I walk and swing. But the high or unusual tones catch my attention. I'm no guru, just another guy that has used it for a bit. Your experience/preferences may differ.

L

l2hunt

Two weeks with the Simplex. Note: completely new detectorist here.
I have been enjoying detecting with this device. Reading a lot, and watching relevant YT videos. Iā€™m finding the usual, hunting two local schools, and some older parks. Iā€™m able to determine penny/dime/nickel/quarter (clad) by tones with referencing the VDI. Learning what kind of plug to dig, determined by where Iā€™m hunting, depth, etc. (love coins right at the surface) My house is 120 years old, on what used to be a farm. Iā€™m noticing that when Iā€™m in field or park mode, with
iron tones disabled, it will still give me a solid high tone and VDI at 85-90 when I swing over a piece of old cast iron sewage or water pipe. Not a big deal, Iā€™m digging everything right now just to educate myself. Looking for common experiences.
RS17digs
usually keep iron off, saves battery that way too, but you'll still hear it from what i can tell HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread