Is that really what I think it is...RATTLESNAKE!

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Typically when I get home from work I get out of my flight suit, kiss the wife, hold the baby, and pass out on the couch. Next it's a combination of TNet surfing, weekend site research, and random button image searches. On this particular day...for no particular reason...I clicked on a google image advertising a small group of "Confederate Flat Buttons" for sale. Thinking to myself, there is no way those buttons are confederate, I proceeded to examine and eliminate each button as a standard 1830s civilian button. This is the grouping I was looking at...

20161103_203851.jpg

Upon arriving at the button on the top right my heart started pounding...is that what I think it is!!! I immediately reached out to the seller, who happened to also be local. Originally trying to get $6, I asked if he would accept $50 for the lot...I could not in good conscience pay $6 for what could potentially be an incredibly rare find. Keep in mind, this is site unseen- well the good news is she is here and legit. As a button guy, it is simply incredible that this rattlesnake cuff (15mm) with shank intact is in my display. This beauty is the matching cuff to the larger 24mm that some on Tnet have dug in the past. The last picture is the coat version depicted in Albert's. Enjoy the pictures and good luck digging this weekend!

20161103_203942.jpg 20161103_204008.jpg 20161102_221147.jpg

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent deal! Nice additions for your collection Jon. Kudos also for raising their price. Were they local digs ya think?

BTW, next time we meet up I'll bring that flat for you to see in person. I respect your knowledge on the subject and that way you can get a better look at it.

HH!!

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still can't believe it. Hell of a find! I'll try and match it tomorrow!

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent deal! Nice additions for your collection Jon. Kudos also for raising their price. Were they local digs ya think?

BTW, next time we meet up I'll bring that flat for you to see in person. I respect your knowledge on the subject and that way you can get a better look at it.

HH!!

Absolutely John, $50 is still a deal to me for a rare early American patriotic button. There's just something about the snake motif that just screams America

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again on the deal of a lifetime! I'm sure it looks great in your display case.

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good luck out there tomorrow, I'm flying in the morning so you can bet I'll take the scenic route in so I can scout an the coast from above
Glad to hear my tax dollars will be put to use in a constructive way! LOL

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's incredible man! I always thought on that particular button the snake design and stars could be seen on both sides? Maybe that was just the larger ones. Congrats buddy

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wrong buddy. Different style
IMG_5405.PNG
IMG_5406.PNG
Good man paying extra. That's the right thing to do.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that's incredible man! I always thought on that particular button the snake design and stars could be seen on both sides? Maybe that was just the larger ones. Congrats buddy

Thanks Abe, there are a few coat varieties that are stamped in high relief. Here is one example
Screenshot_20161104-184914.png

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck out there tomorrow, I'm flying in the morning so you can bet I'll take the scenic route in so I can scout an the coast from above

First off... KILLER Button! I finally wandered over here from your eagle button post. It really says a lot that you offered her more money for that rare button. Awesome job man.

I laughed at you taking the scenic route to scout the coast from the air, because recently I've been contemplating buying a drone to do just that! Of course it'd be much better scouting the way you do it. haha I was looking at the new DJI Mavic which are flipping incredible. GPS\GONASS, sonar and image navigation... they will not let you crash them or run into anything and the flight controller will basically auto return to the exact spot you took off from if there are any power or communication issues. The range on them is nearly 5 miles and if it fly's out of range and loses signal, it will return back to you automatically. What I think is the coolest are the mapping apps that you draw a rectangle\square\trapezoid on a map... the app then prepares a flight plan, powers the drone up and flys in a grid pattern to completely high res image the area you drew. It can even do 3D and vegetative cover maps. Where that is appealing to me is hiking scouting trips where I bush wack through woods all day, I could basically park on the side of the road... send the drone in to fly a grid and map the area from 50 feet in the air in high resolution image map, and then I can study them and decide if its worth going in on foot. I can save all day just by having the drone map it for me in 20 minutes, but obviously only good for wooded areas in the winter when there are no leaves. Another added benefit is for remote areas, you could fly it to an area you are interested in to photograph, before asking permission and see if its worth asking. Anyway... they are expensive and I've been looking for a good reason to rationalize the purchase. It seems like more of a toy then a tool... but I really want to find a reason to make it a tool. haha

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First off... KILLER Button! I finally wandered over here from your eagle button post. It really says a lot that you offered her more money for that rare button. Awesome job man.

I laughed at you taking the scenic route to scout the coast from the air, because recently I've been contemplating buying a drone to do just that! Of course it'd be much better scouting the way you do it. haha I was looking at the new DJI Mavic which are flipping incredible. GPS\GONASS, sonar and image navigation... they will not let you crash them or run into anything and the flight controller will basically auto return to the exact spot you took off from if there are any power or communication issues. The range on them is nearly 5 miles and if it fly's out of range and loses signal, it will return back to you automatically. What I think is the coolest are the mapping apps that you draw a rectangle\square\trapezoid on a map... the app then prepares a flight plan, powers the drone up and flys in a grid pattern to completely high res image the area you drew. It can even do 3D and vegetative cover maps. Where that is appealing to me is hiking scouting trips where I bush wack through woods all day, I could basically park on the side of the road... send the drone in to fly a grid and map the area from 50 feet in the air in high resolution image map, and then I can study them and decide if its worth going in on foot. I can save all day just by having the drone map it for me in 20 minutes, but obviously only good for wooded areas in the winter when there are no leaves. Another added benefit is for remote areas, you could fly it to an area you are interested in to photograph, before asking permission and see if its worth asking. Anyway... they are expensive and I've been looking for a good reason to rationalize the purchase. It seems like more of a toy then a tool... but I really want to find a reason to make it a tool. haha

I've played around a bit with drone mapping, the challenge is that the shortest distance to a pre-built course often takes you directly into a tree. Same challenges with auto land, works great in the open but would certainly take some practice to make it useful in the field

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've played around a bit with drone mapping, the challenge is that the shortest distance to a pre-built course often takes you directly into a tree. Same challenges with auto land, works great in the open but would certainly take some practice to make it useful in the field

Ph awesome... so you have a drone? I'd be interested to hear if it's been a useful tool. The new DJI Mavic has sonar and image nav cameras. If a tree, building, person is in its flight path, it will navigate around them and continue on. It's pretty wild. It says it's hard for crash. I know the Phantom 4 has sonar too, and it will stop when it senses a collision, but I don't know if it goes around. Pretty insane the technology in those things. I just fly the micro ones around the house, but I'd love a real one.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice button! Well worth the risk, and it sure paid off. Congrats

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice button! Well worth the risk, and it sure paid off. Congrats

Haha felt like a kid at Xmas when the envelope arrived in the mail... you can imagine my horror when I realized they were shipped loose. Luckily she survived the dreaded USPS

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, I found a milk snake while digging a plug at the site you put me on Sunday, Jon-does that count?

Snake.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread