31.1 KB · Views: 1,047
Upvote 0

ink-a-alot

Dec 14, 2008
East Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
paleojoe said:
Went out last Thursday to Walk a creek in Adams Co. Ohio. Have yet to find my first point in a creek. This has given me hope that I am on the right track! Thanks for looking.
3 dents there, any on the other side?? sometimes they used those for rubing too, i have some that are polished and real smooth on the sides..

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thirty7 said:

Yeah nice and deep. No doubt. Like Ink asked is it cupped on the other side?? You are close to a winter campsite no doubt maybe more....

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
PaleoJoe, nice nutter! I have accumulated quite the collection this summer. I have found at least twenty or so on the river bank and have found quite a few of those under water. Lostlake88 and I found about ten between the two of us in one day on the riverbank about a month ago.

I have found very few in fields which I think is quite interesting. Thanks for the look. I think nutting stone is not a very accurate label for these tools. I do not think anyone REALLY knows what they were used for. It is a hell of a lot of work to put into something just to crack open a nut. This is Just MY opinion.
Chuck

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohio said:
I have found very few in fields which I think is quite interesting. Thanks for the look. I think nutting stone is not a very accurate label for these tools. I do not think anyone REALLY knows what they were used for. It is a hell of a lot of work to put into something just to crack open a nut. This is Just MY opinion.
Chuck

I am positive the ones I find like yours are for cracking nuts. When it was nut season they had to quickly gather and the cracking had to happen very fast or they would all get the worm. This was one food that they could keep for a length of time that was high in protein.They also recovered an oil off the nuts when boiled. It was a sure thing food source every year. It was like when corn came in for the aztecs. Everybody got involved for this important task.
They would leave the stones in good mast producing areas to use year after year. Its why you can find so many in an area. Great relics you guys found.
Regards
TnMtns

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions