Artifact dealers turn to GOLD

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I wonder through the arrowhead forums on the web. Arrowheads.com in particular. The drastic downturn of the economy has turned our good ole dealers into metal comodities dealers. 9 out of ten of these arftifact dealers want your gold and silver. You have to be a moron to even think twice about it. I WANT YOUR GOLD. Cracks me up. Indian relics was always a fragile market, glad I dumped most.

Upvote 0

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
If I was you yes sir dump all ur artifacts! Me personaly i didnt spend countless hours walking fields or digging holes to dump my relics. I would much rather sit back and admire them be able to fondle :) and recount the thrill of finding them. Even my ugliest broken up point/scraper/knife is priceless to me! What others do with their artifacts is their business but as for me I?ll just hang on to mine!

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
I agree completley buzz,i put way too much work and effort into my finds to get rid of them in any manner,besides I enjoy looking at them and fondling them just as buzz said. When it comes to artifacts you will have to pry them from my cold dead hands....other than a few points ive given to my daughter ;)

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
To each his own...perhaps those who sell their personal finds are hard-up for the money, or perhaps they only sell their lower-end stuff and keep the good ones...but as for me? 99 percent of what I find is field grade. Most of them would bring $5-$10. I don't care if they brought $50-$100 each. Every single one means too much to me! I would never part with them. The only ones I no-longer have were given as gifts to a few friends and family. Otherwise, my kids better like them...cause they'll be here long after I'm gone.

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
The artifact market is slumping??? That's funny because high end pieces are realizing record prices over and over again. There have been many deals struck this year that have been well over 6 figure prices. With everybody and their brother running auctions the supply is outweighing demand for common stuff. However, there still aren't enought of the high end pieces selling to meet demand.

Hippy

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Don't know much about the artifact market as ive only bought 1 paleo arrowhead in my life,the rest of my 100+ points(not counting tools) I have personally found as I will continue to do.Although I cannot say that I will "NEVER" sale ,because ya never know what the future holds for ya,and if you will,or will not be hard up enough to sale.As I dont intend on getting that hard up,aside from my family and friends ,my points mean the world to me!

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Everybody and their brother is turning to dealing gold. Those places are popping up everywhere. In my sleepy little town there is this independent bookstore that was about to go under because of Wal Mart and Amazon. They are operating a "WE BUY GOLD" business out of there now and it probably saved their business.

I was talking to a guy yesterday near Atlanta that said car washes and even convenience stores are getting in on the act as well. Everyone is doing it now.

My NA artifact collection is pretty minute, and I have never dealt with an artifact "dealer". It seems kind of cheesy they would all be doing this now, but I guess you have to pay the bills somehow so more power to them.

riverrocks64

Apr 9, 2010
mayo,florida
:walk: :walk: :walk:countless hours of it :walk: :walk:but have enjoyed every minute of it :walk: :walk:even when i have found nothing :(it is just a great outdoor hobby(addiction for me)thought about selling a few once......for about a minute...then thought :walk: :walk: :walk:no freakin way they mean just to much to me,my kids and grandchildren enjoy them as much as i do. i have let them always go through my broke stuff and play with them over the years. not sorry to say that got a few of them hooked to this very enjoying outdoor hobby. later folks got to go :walk: :walk: :walk:to the woods i go :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hippy said:
The artifact market is slumping??? That's funny because high end pieces are realizing record prices over and over again. There have been many deals struck this year that have been well over 6 figure prices. With everybody and their brother running auctions the supply is outweighing demand for common stuff. However, there still aren't enought of the high end pieces selling to meet demand.

Hippy

You mentioned high end prices. I said the "market", big difference. The 300 dollar market is over. Most stable people don't buy 700 dollar rocks anymore. Went to the Fort Ancient show two weeks ago and had this exact conversation with a few people (one of which is a big name in Ohio), all agreed relics have tanked and will most likely stay there. Dude? Have you looked at Ebay? dirt cheap for good %$@#

Attachments

• IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 580

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Man that is crazy,i mean i dont go artifact hunting for financial gain ,but it would be nice to know that they are worth what they should be...thats the economy 4 ya!

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
The artifact market is no different than any other, highs n lows. And yes I to would like to know that my rocks will always have a high monetary value but even if they dont it wont change the way I look at them. When I found my very first point you could buy a nice clovis for about $2.00! Then again you could stop at any farm get out and start looking and the worst you would hear from land owner/farmer was boy you aint guna find ne rocks out there! Anyway off I go to walk walk walk and walk sum more! Oh yeah one other thing you are right about fleabay! I just recently bought my first 2 artifacts ever. Paid a grand total of $26 for a sweet @$$ serrated kirk and a awesome copena! So heck I say let the prices keep dropping I just might buy a few more...

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
Lostlake, excellent point. I personally noticed the decline in prices when several well know "authenticators" were pretty much laughed off the face of the field because they were finally exposed to the world as being spurious, along with the papers they profited from. Names withheld, you know who they are. They drove up the prices because people would pay more for papered points, plain and simple. Obviously, the crash of 2008 made people less apt to fork out cash for artifacts- same goes for antique bottles and any collectible antique, classic car, Rookwood pottery, etc. but they're all becoming scarcer and harder to find every year so now is the time to buy and not to sell, in my opinion. It may take 10 or 20 or 50 years for the market to turn for antiques and artifacts but the law of supply and demand will prevail.

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Hippy said:

Hippy

Your talking berkshire hathaway, I'm talking the common market. Not enough demand to balance the market. Prices will never recover in my lifetime, and guess what? I don't care.

OP
OP
lostlake88

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
buzzgator said:
The artifact market is no different than any other, highs n lows. And yes I to would like to know that my rocks will always have a high monetary value but even if they dont it wont change the way I look at them. When I found my very first point you could buy a nice clovis for about $2.00! Then again you could stop at any farm get out and start looking and the worst you would hear from land owner/farmer was boy you aint guna find ne rocks out there! Anyway off I go to walk walk walk and walk sum more! Oh yeah one other thing you are right about fleabay! I just recently bought my first 2 artifacts ever. Paid a grand total of $26 for a sweet @$$ serrated kirk and a awesome copena! So heck I say let the prices keep dropping I just might buy a few more...

Your wrong. PM me

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
For some reason I cant start a pm from my phone but if u pm me i can reply to it. Dont know why it wont let me start a pm tho?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread